I HATE pet stores

aclesi11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
My local pet store has always been pretty favorable with me, pretty knowledgable with all of its animals. But they are horrible with tortoises.

I walked in today and they were selling a medium sized sulcata with substantial pyramiding for $180. It was housed in a tank that was probably about 50 gallons with alfalfa substrate. The worst part was it was in the same cage as a bearded dragon.

This wasnt the first instance of horrible tortoise conditions. I remember seeing two red foots housed in dry alfalfa substrate with an empty water dish.

If only I had the money and space to save all of these tortoises....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Did you happen to nicely tell them that they might want to change substrates and that a tortoise can eat a lizard if it gets the chance?

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
What Jacqui said! Also try to get them to change their setups. When I see torts in bad housing I explain that hot and humid is the way to go and that they could provide a better life and make more money for displaying them the correct way. Then instead of just a tank, water bowls, and some cheap bedding they could recommend a larger enclosed setup, coco coir, orchid bark, a humidifier, mvb for basking, a che for night warmth, temp gun and humidity readers, supplements, and the food and water dishes. And the list goes on and on. Then I refer them to here to check out what others are saying and to check out the care sheets available.