I hate power outages..

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Anyone else have some gigantic big bad wolf trying to blow your house down right now? This is some crazy wind that I wouldn't wish on anyone. I have about 3 more degrees before I storm my tortoise enclosure, fish them out and toss them into towels with hand warmers :'(

The second to last power outage we had lasted a week..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We had wind and a out four more inches of snow last night and today. However, we hardly ever loose power in the part if the city that I am in. I feel for ya though.

LABZOO

Ugh, I hear you there. I am currently saving up to buy some supplies like an in-car heated carrier. We lost power here in Ontario for a week during christmas- evacuating cold stunned exotics is NOT fun. I literally had half frozen frogs in my pockets crawling up the driveway covered in ice (at that point I was living in a very remote location in a "cabin" so the temp dropped FAST). I am terrified of them now, as I lost my most beloved friend, Basil (gc conure), a week later. The necropsy gave no results but I have a feeling the stress of moving and evacuating played a roll :'(. I am just starting to get over that...which I why I opened my door to a sully. But yes, exotics in Canada is really not the best idea :( I kind of hate myself for doing it...

Also try putting bottles of wwarm/hot water near them so they can lay next to it.

BEST of luck !

M

Maggie Cummings

I also was going to suggest glass jars with hot water inside but wrapped in a towel so the tortoise can't get burned. That's what I use when we lose power...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We had a freak snow/ice storm that knocked out power here for 22 hrs. We've got somewhere near 200 gallons of tropical fish tanks as we'll as the herd of tortoises. For me, I'd never be without my 19 hp,
10,000 watt generator. We even had our satellite tv and Internet machine up and running.