I have concerns about trading with ATC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandrep88

5 Year Member
Essentially i am trading my tortoise, because i feel it's rarity/ability to breed would be better suited for someone who would appreciate it more. I told Andrew i would trade it in exchange for a leopard hatchling, as well as he paying to ship my tortoise out.

The question i have for forum users is, Andrew said he will mail me out a shipping label, and then proceed to ship one of his tortoises to me, once i have sent him my tortoise. Is there any sort of insurance policy for these kind of trades? Should i be asking for a retainer fee? Like what do you all think?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: So, i am orchestrating a trade with ArizonaTortoiseCompound (have questions of us

ATC is a very reputable outfit. They have had dozens, if not 100s, of business dealings with the members of this forum over the last few years. There has never been one single complaint of any kind. I would trust them completely. You will need to ask them what their specific policies and guarantees are, but they are good guys and you should have no problems with them.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
ArizonaTortoiseCompound (have questions of users)

Brandrep88 said:
Essentially i am trading my tortoise, because i feel it's rarity/ability to breed would be better suited for someone who would appreciate it more. I told Andrew i would trade it in exchange for a leopard hatchling, as well as he paying to ship my tortoise out.

The question i have for forum users is, Andrew said he will mail me out a shipping label, and then proceed to ship one of his tortoises to me, once i have sent him my tortoise. Is there any sort of insurance policy for these kind of trades? Should i be asking for a retainer fee? Like what do you all think?

So I found this for you as far as a review goes;

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66362.html

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
RE: ridiculously long title

I think you're being a little bit ridiculous. ATC is a sponsor of this very site. You can choose to trust him, or not. That's entirely up to you.

Also, your post title is too long to reply to without modification.

Brandrep88

5 Year Member
RE: ridiculously long title

Steve_McQueen said:
I think you're being a little bit ridiculous. ATC is a sponsor of this very site. You can choose to trust him, or not. That's entirely up to you.

Also, your post title is too long to reply to without modification.

them being a sponor of this site is exactly why i asked. it is not like we are dealing with paypal here or any sort of money trail.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
TortoiseCompound (have questions of users)

I posted a positive review about ATC today though it is not up yet.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
So, i am orchestrating a trade with ArizonaTortoiseCompound (have questions of users)

Benjamin said:
I posted a positive review about ATC today though it is not up yet.

I see it up now. Well done you.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Andrew over at ATC is a great person to work with , and you should have no worries on your end at all!

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Brandrep88 said:

I recently acquired my Russian through ATC and I would highly recommend them. There are good and honest people.

However, if you really are concerned write up some kind of agreement and sign it then mail it to ATC and have them sign it and mail it back to you before shipping your tortoise. You want to have all original signatures on it that's why I am suggesting to mail it. I am no lawyer, not even close, but I feel like this way both you and ATC would be covering your a**es :p (Also know as "CYA"). :p

I can personally attest that they are great and I have never heard anything negative but I do not blame you in the slightest for wanting to protect yourself. Better safe then sorry!

PS. If you do decide to write up an agreement make sure to include anything that you and ATC have agreed upon, such as what/who is responsible if your tortoise would pass during shipping on it's way to ATC, what ATC will do if the leopard hatchling were to pass on it's way to you, etc. Cover all your bases. My mother used to breed and show dogs and so I grew up helping her type up contracts for selling/shipping dogs all the time so I have some experience when it comes to this. Once again, I am in no way involved with the legal profession. Just friend to friend suggestion.

I will say that if your tortoise were to pass on its way to ATC I think Andrew would still give you a Leopard and if the leopard died on its way to you or shortly after he would send you another one. They really are great and trustworthy people.

Brandrep88

5 Year Member
Something should be clarified here. Nearly every post is in reference to ATC, because that is what is originally posted in the thread title, but the context speaks of something greater, which is, how do you go about trading of live animals. Only one suggestion has been made suggesting that I mail out a paper for someone to hand-sign then have copy and mail back to me, that sounds awfully complicated, is there not an e-signer or something for this topic? or perhaps made certified mail with a note attached kind of like a money order receipt? Just wondering how others have dealt with trades that were not covered by paypal or some other form of money-exchange tracking. Does not have to be with "ATC" to warrant discussion.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Honestly, sometimes you just need to trust the person you dealing with and go with what ATC suggests. I have purchased torts that were alot more money than the torts you are talking here. You are making things to complicated, The last tortoise I purchased I sent him a check and he waited for it to clear then he shipped the tortoise to me same day Delta Air. All our dealings were via email with no contracts. The last payment I sent on this tort was 600.00 and he shipped me the before my check cleared because we have done business in the past and he trusted me as well.........Go ahead put yourself out on a limb:D One more time your making things to complicated

theelectraco

5 Year Member
bigred said:
Honestly, sometimes you just need to trust the person you dealing with and go with what ATC suggests. I have purchased torts that were alot more money than the torts you are talking here. You are making things to complicated, The last tortoise I purchased I sent him a check and he waited for it to clear then he shipped the tortoise to me same day Delta Air. All our dealings were via email with no contracts. The last payment I sent on this tort was 600.00 and he shipped me the before my check cleared because we have done business in the past and he trusted me as well.........Go ahead put yourself out on a limb:D One more time your making things to complicated

Big red, that's one expensive tortoise...care to share what you got ;)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
theelectraco said:
bigred said:

Big red, that's one expensive tortoise...care to share what you got ;)

A little female radiated

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm really surprised you're still going on like this. In my dealings in life, if something were to give me so much pause and reflection I think I would realize some personal introspection and see that perhaps I maybe want to keep my original torts.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Brandrep88 said:
Something should be clarified here. Nearly every post is in reference to ATC, because that is what is originally posted in the thread title, but the context speaks of something greater, which is, how do you go about trading of live animals. Only one suggestion has been made suggesting that I mail out a paper for someone to hand-sign then have copy and mail back to me, that sounds awfully complicated, is there not an e-signer or something for this topic? or perhaps made certified mail with a note attached kind of like a money order receipt? Just wondering how others have dealt with trades that were not covered by paypal or some other form of money-exchange tracking. Does not have to be with "ATC" to warrant discussion.

I am sure there is! If no one here can give you the answer you are looking for maybe try talking to your local Post Office about about certified mail or whatever you mentioned. I am sure there is an easy solution. Don't money orders have some kind of receipt? I don't know a lot about them but have you looked into that?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
This is how a trade deal works - You inquire, you ship first. Once the animal is received and deemed fit for whatever the trade is, the other end is shipped. Plain and simple. This is how it has worked for a long while. It is up to you to do your research on who you are dealing with. You can try a "retainer" or some other way to try and CYA, but everytime I'm offered terms in that manner I decline and go on about my business. It doesn't matter what it is for. It could be a $200 deal or a $15,000 deal. If trust is not established between the individuals involved, it is time to walk.......

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
This is how a trade deal works - You inquire, you ship first. Once the animal is received and deemed fit for whatever the trade is, the other end is shipped. Plain and simple. This is how it has worked for a long while. It is up to you to do your research on who you are dealing with. You can try a "retainer" or some other way to try and CYA, but everytime I'm offered terms in that manner I decline and go on about my business. It doesn't matter what it is for. It could be a $200 deal or a $15,000 deal. If trust is not established between the individuals involved, it is time to walk.......
Well put Eric .....:D

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Did your deal fall apart? I saw that you updated your for sale listing with new pictures after this post had been made...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Brandrep88 said:

This industry is a bit different than most. We deal in trust and reputation. Big red spelled it out well, and Eric drove that nail right on home.

There are people in this industry with spotless reps and there are people that I won't even sit next to at a free lunch. It is totally understandable that you do not wish to take unnecessary risks, but I don't think you will do business with to many tortoise folks if you are not willing to take those risks. Its all up to you and what you are comfortable with.

Brandrep88

5 Year Member
Steve_McQueen said:
Did your deal fall apart? I saw that you updated your for sale listing with new pictures after this post had been made...

No. Im working it out today just conversing with him on how to appropriately ship tortoise. Ad i have were updated cause if someone were the offer me money to just buy what i want off atc. Id do that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.