I have neglected my Russian. Please help me change.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
If you wrap him firmly in a towel, that will help keep him still when you try the filing. I would suggest you use one of the nail files for humans, as they would be gentler than a workman type file .
Angie

_The_Beast_

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Genuinely so proud of you for posting. It takes a lot to step up and make yourself vulnerable like this. If your folks are up for helping but they're not keen on the big footprint of the enclosure, you can also make the enclosure have two levels. The enclosure section of this forum has great examples.

Some easy fixes are diet and moisture. Are you able to grow food or are you reliant on the grocery store? If grocery store, there are great foods that you can add in to help improve nutrition. Let us know if suggestions would be helpful. Some torts are reluctant to try new foods and folks on this forum have great suggestions for how to help overcome that (persistence is key!).

Again, so glad you're here 🫂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Genuinely so proud of you for posting. It takes a lot to step up and make yourself vulnerable like this. If your folks are up for helping but they're not keen on the big footprint of the enclosure, you can also make the enclosure have two levels. The enclosure section of this forum has great examples.

Some easy fixes are diet and moisture. Are you able to grow food or are you reliant on the grocery store? If grocery store, there are great foods that you can add in to help improve nutrition. Let us know if suggestions would be helpful. Some torts are reluctant to try new foods and folks on this forum have great suggestions for how to help overcome that (persistence is key!).

Only thing to give a heads up on when looking at the enclosure section, some of the photos are old/incorrect set ups, but there’s still loads to look at for some inspiration😊

randominique

Ohio

Thank you so much!! I am unable to grow my own food. What foods should I add? I’ve tried other foods but my tortoise has always been dead set on romaine.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much!! I am unable to grow my own food. What foods should I add? I’ve tried other foods but my tortoise has always been dead set on romaine.
You can try spring mix salads, radicchio (costly, but most tortoises love it), bok choy, and red and green leaf lettuces. Also pumpkin and opuntia cactus pads. When feeding the last two make sure not to cut them into small pieces on which your tortoise could choke. It is better to cut them into large slices or strips so the tortoise can bite off small pieces itself which it will be able to swallow.

randominique

Ohio
You can try spring mix salads, radicchio (costly, but most tortoises love it), bok choy, and red and green leaf lettuces. Also pumpkin and opuntia cactus pads. When feeding the last two make sure not to cut them into small pieces on which your tortoise could choke. It is better to cut them into large slices or strips so the tortoise can bite off small pieces itself which it will be able to swallow.
Thank you!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@randominique you have been getting responses from some of the smartest tortoise people there are. I would encourage you to show this to your parents, I would be super proud of you if you were my child. You are going to need to make changes over time, it can be overwhelming to try all at once. Keep learning and getting answers and before you know it you'll be a tort expert.