I just cant decide!

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Good luck finding that apartment. Not many want to allow pets. If electric is included, they really won't allow it. If you do plan on bringing it with you, if you do go to college, then for sure stick with a small species, like russian, hermann, pancake. RF or Cherry would be too big unless you could dedicate a room and that's not going to be allowed in a rental.
My recent landlord was thrilled I have a tort. Her young brother-in-law and mother-in-law keep several small ones.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Yes, Indians are more shy than Burmese, and a hair less expensive (for now anyways). And as Tom says they’re a more sensitive species too.

I do understand being sensitive to cost, but keep in mind that the cost of the enclosure and proper equipment could easily run $500-1000 so a couple hundred difference in the price of a tortoise won’t matter as much in the long run.

Can’t go wrong with cherryheads, I like them too. Just plan for a large indoor enclosure in the long run, since they can’t stay outside over winter.
From what i understand CH tortoises dont get as large as redfoots and CH tortoises size ranges from 8"-13 inches and yes i have the large indoor room for it when its winter. I dont have the room. Now but my sister will move out soon then we will have more room. Also i already have almost everything for a tortoise and yes your right it is quite expensive but i managed to make a cheap DIY closed enclosure with a 60"by 60" inch kiddie pool and I put a sturdy fence around it and zip tied plastic onto it and around the entire enclosure. It was somewhat difficult to make a door but i managed and now it holds between 70% - 90% humidity and around 79-89 Degrees F. I am still getting the temperature right. So if i do buy a baby CH tortoise i can keep it inside my DIY enclosure for a while and i already have a outside enclosure ready just gotta move it where the sun hits it more and i gotta plant some plants put some food and water dishes in it and spice it up a little. Also i just got a ceramic heat emitter today in the mail so keeping the temperature right at night should not be a problem. Also i got some grow lights for the poshos and aloe vera and hibiscus plant i have in there.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi! I cannot gush enough about my experince with Hermann's! That they don't dig deeply at all, they don't get too big (8-10"), they only eat vegetation, are very friendly, and are easy keepers. I've had my male Hermann's for 8 years (I had two initially, but gave the other male to a friend because they kept running each other off the food) He lives in a 20' x 4' enclosure outside in Florida.
Whichever you choose they will doubtless get a great and loving home with you. Best of luck!
I absolutely agree about Hermanns. Ours is nearly 22 now, and although he isn't very big, he has a huge personality, and provides us with so much interest and affection - he has transformed our lives.

COmtnLady

Colorado
Debbie Downer here...

Let's say you find another landlord that actually is enthusiastic about you turning a room into a Tort paradise, but unless you are independently wealthy you will probably will find yourself in a position of having roommates. And roommates get drunk and pour beer or wine into your tort's water or all over its shell, or blow smoke into the Tort's face because they are idiots who think the critter will enjoy such. Or they take the tort out of his enclosure... and... I don't know where it is, it was here a minute ago. Or they're really sorry but their dog kind of chewed on your tort. Or you asked them to take care of your tort for a few days because you had to go somewhere, only they forgot.

There are lots of things to think about. Its a big commitment.
(Maybe think about it when you are established, on your own, when your life is a bit more settled. Unless your mom is Terry Irwin's twin its not really fair to the Tort or the parent. Maybe introduce yourself to the herpetology department of the closest University/zoo so there is someone for sure that genuinely likes your critter?) Just sayin'.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Debbie Downer here...

Let's say you find another landlord that actually is enthusiastic about you turning a room into a Tort paradise, but unless you are independently wealthy you will probably will find yourself in a position of having roommates. And roommates get drunk and pour beer or wine into your tort's water or all over its shell, or blow smoke into the Tort's face because they are idiots who think the critter will enjoy such. Or they take the tort out of his enclosure... and... I don't know where it is, it was here a minute ago. Or they're really sorry but their dog kind of chewed on your tort. Or you asked them to take care of your tort for a few days because you had to go somewhere, only they forgot.

(Maybe think about it when you are established, on your own, when your life is a bit more settled. Unless your mom is Terry Irwin's twin its not really fair to the Tort or the parent. Maybe introduce yourself to the herpetology department of the closest University/zoo so there is someone for sure that genuinely likes your critter?) Just sayin'.
On that note, I volunteer at our local zoo. Almost everyone is trained in small animal care for education and outreach. We can apply to be assigned to tort care (Aldabra and Galapagos) but would have to clean up after the flamingos and other birds too.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Debbie Downer here...

There is a tortoise farm near me that i am trying to get to know. So maybe they would do me a favor and take in my future tortoise for a few years. Also a zoo i near me who has a pen full of tortoises.... but it closed down because of covid and i dont know if its coming back cause its a small zoo.

COmtnLady

Colorado
Perhaps you could work with them, care for their Torts, until you are in a better position to get one of your own!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Perhaps you could work with them, care for their Torts, until you are in a better position to get one of your own!
Well the zoo is closed currently and the tortoise farm is 1 hour away so we wouldn't go there a lot since gas is $4.87 a gal. So i cant get a job there.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
alright i think i decided. I'll probably get a CH and when im in college my older sister is gonna take him/her in for a while. My parents really like the idea of me getting a CH and so do I. The question is where. My parents want me to buy it off a website for reasons... and i got two websites in mind. Tortoisesupply.com, Tortstork.com, or reptmart.com.

COmtnLady

Colorado
When places with animals are "closed", the animals don't stop existing. The people who run those places frequently need volunteers to help out. It would be great experience for you to learn care firsthand, and you would get to "have" their animals while you're learning. Then later on, once you're in a better position to care for a tort, you'll be an old pro at it. Think how your own would flourish with you having so much experience!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
When places with animals are "closed", the animals don't stop existing. The people who run those places frequently need volunteers to help out. It would be great experience for you to learn care firsthand, and you would get to "have" their animals while you're learning. Then later on, once you're in a better position to care for a tort, you'll be an old pro at it. Think how your own would flourish with you having so much experience!
I think that zoo went out of business cause they didnt have enough money to pay their workers or feed the animals. My older sister worked there and she got $7 bucks an hour. Also when covid hit they fired her and claimed they would hire her again later. But she still didn't hear anything from them for a long time.

Dragon

michagin
I appreciate all the concern. :) i dont know if i am going to college since that is a while off and things change. And if i end up going to college my parents would gladly watch my tortoise if i am unable to bring it with me. But i will prob. Take it with. I think ill just rent an apartment near college so i can have all the reptiles i want. 😁😂
sounds like a great idea!! And unlike a dog or cat your tort wont bark or get into mischife while your at school. lol Just be sure it would be ok with your landloard