I left them out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Well, I did it, I left my little babies outside overnight last night. I checked on them about 11pm and again around 6 am this morning (still sleeping) but they're there exactly where I left them :)

Laurie

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Was this the first time they have stayed overnight outside?

Yes! My adult always stays out, but the babies I was bringing in every night. They did great, i'm sure it was easier on them too, as opposed to switching enclosures. I just went out to check on them and they're both happily munching away on some weeds :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
:D its always scary leaving them out for the first time. Sounds like they are just perfect.

Laurie

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
I wonder who brings all those babies indoors when they're out in the wild?:p

Sorry "cat lady", you know I had to poke at you.

You know that's why I'm coming to pickup that Hermanns next week, you keep leaving him out, someone has to rescue him!!::p

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Next week-it might take me that long to find him! He's out there, with no parents, in a big, scary outdoor enclosure that is full of dirt and rocks and weeds and creepy crawling bugs and things! Oh My! Once I do find him I'll clean him all up so he can look good in his new sweater for the family photo.

Laurie

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Next week-it might take me that long to find him! He's out there, with no parents, in a big, scary outdoor enclosure that is full of dirt and rocks and weeds and creepy crawling bugs and things! Oh My! Once I do find him I'll clean him all up so he can look good in his new sweater for the family photo.

Lmao! I'll send you a Christmas card, were all gonna have our pics taken with Santa! :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good for you! Those little torts are probably winking at each other and thinking, 'finally, lady!'

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am trying to crush some dreams here, but I can't find any.

Laurie

5 Year Member
They made it a second night :) I'm secretly hoping it gets cooler sooner than later so I can bring them back in....I got tired of hearing my husband say, "Garys got that little baby that just hatched outside! leave them OUT!"

Last night, I didn't think they were buried enough. So whats a crazy person do? I bring some coir outside from their indoor enclosures and attempt to "help" them bury themselves! They both walked away from the perfectly good burrow I made!! Why can't I just leave them alone! I swear tonight I will NOT try to help them dig in..lol, I will leave them ALONE. I also will not go outside with a flashlight to check on them. (When I type it all out like this, I sound like a nut! lmao)

conservation

10 Year Member!
It is always scary leaving them outside the first time.

I was recently told there is an N.Y. breeder who has allowed his Russians to hibernate outdoors for many years with much sucess. Talk about scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.