I need a cave!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

morloch

5 Year Member
I am upgrading Morlochs home, and he will need a new cave in his new home ,. Unfortunately his shell is too big for the average cave,, bought in stores. I would like to make it look natural. I would love to get some ideas from everyone!!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
i took a flower pot and layed it on it's side, buried. the ground goes over the top and is even growing grass and weeds. i love it because it looks as natural as you can get. from one side you cant even tell its there... and from the other side you can see the cave and dont realize its a flower pot.. i'll see if i have pictures. but i got the idea from TFO so im sure others will have pics too

morloch

5 Year Member
Thank you,, I've been trying different sizes. They seem to be too short for him. Without going huge,, and he likes to dig! Was thinking of somehow cutting it in half

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
If you have a big pet shop near you that sells marine animals and reptiles, check that. I found a HUGE cave made from natural stone in one close to here for around $120 that can house large animals. It's in Randalstown, MD and they have a large section full of rocks/caves.

But that's hit and miss. It depends on what they have.

morloch

5 Year Member
Lol,, I work at a very large store that sells marine and reptile supplies,, no such luck ! I might try the flower pot idea and cut it in half somehow. Then cover it with fake concrete.I was also thinking slate rock, and held up with smaller pieces. But I'm afraid of it collapsing on him.

morloch

5 Year Member
I'll check that out,, I was also thinking if I can dremmel the entrance larger to his cave! But I'll go to pet smart ... See what they have.

Morlochs cave,

Just need a larger entrance

Hope pic works this time!

Attachments

• image-2161467809.png
    image-2161467809.png
    767.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3513247037.png
    image-3513247037.png
    767.2 KB · Views: 47

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I use those cement shingles at homedepot to use as support then usually pile substrate over it, usually worked well and toetoises love it and will me dig down and make it cosy. It started with about 5-7 inces of soil, then I out the shingle in and buried it and then dug it out and made it to where they could fit. Ill see if I can get more pictures but here's one. Actually the picture shows two "caves" they are on top of one another and I built it into the topography of the substrate. Turned out all right and the tortoises love it and use both

Attachments

• image-4107788649.png
    image-4107788649.png
    913.9 KB · Views: 67

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I have used sections of pipe....they sell plastic and clay at plumbing supply shops,
They have small to large (big enough for my adult female Russians . Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.