I need advice on how to proceed

hdeaver1

Hello! It seems it has been awhile since I have logged on here. I currently have an African leopard tortoise and we have had her for about 4 years. Recently, we came across a father who was trying to find a home for their tortoise because it was being neglected. Not fed, no heat source...etc. So my husband brought him home. However, he is a Sulcata. Now, I still stand by rescuing the tort to make sure he is taken care of, but I am also aware that the two species don't mix well. I am currently in the process of building a outdoor enclosure...can the two co-habitat? Has anyone had success with raising the two together? Problems? I don't want to find a new home for the sulcata, but if that is the best decision I certainly can look into it.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
You should find a new home for the sulcata if you cannot house them separately. The sulcata will likely grow to be much larger than your leopard, and that alone would create issues with domination and aggression and your leopard will probably suffer quite a bit of stress.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Heidi:

Regardless of their size, each tortoise needs it's own yard. Living in Las Vegas, you should be able to house them outside year round, providing each with a heated retreat (shed, night box, dog house, etc). Do you have a yard large enough to divide into two habitats?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As you already stated and know. No, they can not be housed together. The sulcata will beat up, bully and probably kill the leopard.

hdeaver1

Okay, time to break the news to my well meaning husband tonight. I am currently unable to make two separate enclosures. I will begin the hunt for finding a home for the sulcata. Thank-you for confirming.

hdeaver1

Just an update: I found a good home for the Sulcata and I am almost finished making my outdoor enclosure for my Leopard tortoise. I will post pictures when it's complete. Thank-you everyone for your advice.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Just an update: I found a good home for the Sulcata and I am almost finished making my outdoor enclosure for my Leopard tortoise. I will post pictures when it's complete. Thank-you everyone for your advice.

That's great news! Yes post pictures!