I need an app..

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South South Texas,
I need an app that will allow me to keep pics and info of each of my torts. I've been keeping tabs on weight on 3x5 cards, but recently lost a few of them and didn't have back-ups. Does anyone know of an app that will let me keep various info and pics on my iPad, so I can always have a back-up.

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
My hubby suggested using an app called "numbers". He's going to help me set it up because I am technologically disabled. On he other hand, he he can't shoot, butcher or build, so we kinda compliment each other!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My hubby suggested using an app called "numbers". He's going to help me set it up because I am technologically disabled. On he other hand, he he can't shoot, butcher or build, so we kinda compliment each other!
I use excel spreadsheet I modified and can attach pictures. I set it up to create and update graphs of growth as I update weights monthly. Numbers is the iPhone / iPad version of excel and I use the excel spreadsheet on my iPhone with "Numbers".

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I simply take pictures of them while they are on the scale. Then upload the pictures to my computer(I suppose you can leave it on your phone). I then create a file for each tortoise and that way I can track them individually.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Putting on phone or pad guarantees loss when tech piece of garbage is lost. Bad idea. Put on disc and keep safe from magnetism and is safe.

SaraP

Northern CA
Some folks use Instagram this way--since it's photo-driven social media, you can post photos and add captions as needed. It's designed to be easy to use, you can take photos with your iPad or smartphone and use them directly from there. Added side bonus: folks can follow you and the tortoises and see their growth which might be interesting to some folks (you can make it private too if you want).

I use Apple products so any photos I take with my iPhone, iPad or laptop sync with the Photos apps on all of the other devices. So my photos are always accessible no matter what device I'm using. They also sync to the cloud so I have automatic backup. I also back up my photos using my Amazon Prime account from time to time so I have a failsafe. Usually you can add notes to any of these for each photo or at least come up with a nomenclature for the file names that will keep you organized.

I'm not sure what was meant by "disks" but if we're talking about something that you put into an actual slot on a hard drive, those are antiques by now. Even zip drives are mostly outdated (which is not to say that folks don't still use them). It's easier and more reliable to use cloud services--and they generally hold more.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Welllll, online drive is also subject to computer failure. Best to save on portable memory disc or memory stick if really wanting to keep it. Not familiar with it but maybe saving to the "cloud" would work.