I need help building an outdoor pen for my Russian tortoise

Braeden p

Location (City and/or State)
Pottstown PA
So would 12’by12’ be good or 8’ by 8’ or 12’ by 8’. I’m trying to build an pen for my Russian and I want to use 2 by 6’s as walls then chicken wire around the sides and roof to stop hawks. And would a new paint tray work well as a place to soak? Just need suggestions,

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
8x8 would be fine.. but if u have the room for bigger im sure he’ll appreciate it . Paint tray could work.. sunken flush with the ground or a bigger size terra cotta saucer depending on size of ur guy

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
8x8 would be fine.. but if u have the room for bigger im sure he’ll appreciate it . Paint tray could work.. sunken flush with the ground or a bigger size terra cotta saucer depending on size of ur guy
I was thinking about sinking it flush and if I think is 8ft I can use pvc pipe to hold the chicken wire. A paint tray is 2times longer and wider but just as deep as her water bowl that would help because she flipped upside down in her water bowl once so it should be safer

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Also a paint tray base a slope so it should be easier but I could put a ramp in a saucer.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Watch out.. u know they like to climb and are escape artists lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I use paint trays for several of my animals...the box turtles do really well, I think a Russian would like one as well...

L

LasTortugasNinja

strawberries and hibiscus will be destroyed. Also, if you buy plants started from a nursery, they're soaked in nitrates and pesticides to keep bugs off of them in the store. Tortoise shouldn't eat those. Best bet is to grow plants in pots from seeds if possible, or spend extra money on the organic plants available at nurseries. Either way, plant them in pots, and let the tort get whatever grows over, without being able to get at the stems or roots. The plants will last a lot longer. Also, have a digging area, otherwise your grass area will be torn up (still might be anyway). Add 4 or 5 more hides in several places. Perceived security is a paramount emotion for all reptiles. Otherwise, looks like a strong start!