SULCATA PEN Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sebastopol
Cheerio is getting so big so fast, and he really needs a pen, I've thought of a design, and it would help me if I heard everyone's opinion. #1 I dig out a rectangle in the ground about 5 inches deep.
#2 I line it with chicken wire and leave some extra on the sides.
#3 I put a five foot by 1 foot board on the sides of the rectangle, overlapping the extra chicken wire.
#4 I fill the rectangle up to five inches of dirt.
#5 I take the extra chicken wire that has been overlapped by the wooden boards, and that is sticking outside of the square, and staple it to the outer side of the board.
#6 I take some kind of medal lattice or chicken wire, and work something out for the lid.
#7 then I decorate!
Does this sound safe and secure? Any opinions? I tried to describe it the best I can so if it doesn't make sense I will try to explain it in another way. :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I do not know very much about sulcatas, but I do hear they like to dig. Maybe you could dig down deeper than 5 inches?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tremendous overkill.

In more than 20 years of housing sulcatas outdoors, I have never once dug down and buried wire or anything else, and I have never had one even attempt to dig out.

Many of them don't try to dig at all. If they do try and you don't want them too, simply fill in the hole and cover the area with a paver for a couple of weeks. In hot summer weather I usually let them dig and simply cover or fill in the burrow in late October. When they dig, they dig down. They don't dig down and then back up somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.