I need help planning i diet for my red footed tortoise

Andrew.H

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
I’m getting a red footed tortoise next thursday but i need help by people that have/had red footed tortoises. I need help making a good weekly diet plan for it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Some of the greens I feed are dandelion, clover, kale, mustard, turnip, collard, escarole, arugula, romaine, plantain weed, mulberry leaf, hibiscus leaf and flowers, raspberry leaf, endive

Some of the fruits and veggies I feed are mango, papaya, kiwi, melon, cantaloupe, strawberry, blueberry, apricot, pineapple, pear, banana, grapes, carrots, cucumber, squash, peppers, zucchini, and sweet potato.

Some of the things I use for protein are chicken, shrimp, tuna, sardines, scrambled and hard boiled egg, Earthworms, Mealworms, and sometimes low fat cat food. You want to feed protein about once a week.

I also feed Mazuri occasionally and layer crumbles from @Kapidolo Farms

There's probably more im not remembering too. No real schedule, I just try to offer a few different items everyday and different things each day.

Andrew.H

Ontario
Some of the greens I feed are dandelion, clover, kale, mustard, turnip, collard, escarole, arugula, romaine, plantain weed, mulberry leaf, hibiscus leaf and flowers, raspberry leaf, endive

Some of the fruits and veggies I feed are mango, papaya, kiwi, melon, cantaloupe, strawberry, blueberry, apricot, pineapple, pear, banana, grapes, carrots, cucumber, squash, peppers, zucchini, and sweet potato.

Some of the things I use for protein are chicken, shrimp, tuna, sardines, scrambled and hard boiled egg, Earthworms, Mealworms, and sometimes low fat cat food. You want to feed protein about once a week.

I also feed Mazuri occasionally and layer crumbles from @Kapidolo Farms

There's probably more im not remembering too. No real schedule, I just try to offer a few different items everyday and different things each day.

Thank you so much, I’m really excited about getting my tortoise and dont want to mess anything up

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Hi am new and I have a red footed tortoise for a while I feed him lettuce and these protein pellet things and dried mealworms and sometimes I give him fruit maybe once a week but I have been looking at some of these and I do have a part time job but I don’t make a lot of money he’s seems happy and fine but I just want to make him happy so what food could I give him that he really likes

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This is a picture of his enclosure this was a while ago so it does not have all of the stuff I have now.
View attachment 372130
Hello! I can by all means answer you here if you want, but you might find it far more helpful to make a new thread including the following information so we can best help you with your tortoise😊

What size enclosure is that you’re keeping him in?
How old is your tortoise?
What are you using for substrate?
What are you using for lighting?
What is your UV situation?
What are you overall temperatures? A good way to check those is both monitors and a temp gun.
Lastly, what are your humidity levels?

Please make a new thread answering all those questions if you can, and include as many photos of your current set up as possible, if you don’t know how to make a new thread, tell me here and I can explain how🙂

Once you’ve done your own post I can go over a red foot’s dietary requirements, they need far more fruit than what you’ve been feeding, I can give you a list of a whole bunch of different ones you can try them with! And go over some different types of greens, if you could add a photo of the package of the pellets you’ve been feeding in the thread, that’d be great too, thanks😊

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
The cage is a little bigger than a twin size bed I got him on February 18 2023 so about a year and a couple months but add a couple more months because he’s was about 2 months old when I got him I am using a coconut mat for him planning on getting him something so he can dig I am using a lamp for lighting his heat lamp is not with light the UV light is mostly from the sun he’s right next to my window but been reading and planning on getting him a UV light the temps are about 80 get into the 90 but not often and then for humidity It’s normally around 70-80 I use a mister made bye the company tuya

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The cage is a little bigger than a twin size bed I got him on February 18 2023 so about a year and a couple months but add a couple more months because he’s was about 2 months old when I got him I am using a coconut mat for him planning on getting him something so he can dig I am using a lamp for lighting his heat lamp is not with light the UV light is mostly from the sun he’s right next to my window but been reading and planning on getting him a UV light the temps are about 80 get into the 90 but not often and then for humidity It’s normally around 70-80 I use a mister made bye the company tuya
I’ll talk you through how to post a thread in my next reply, but right of the bat there are a few things that are going to need adjusting, he definitely needs to be put on some orchid bark, this is going to help your humidity and allow him to exhibit his natural behaviours. I’ll talk you through maintaining the humidity with that substrate in your thread.
Include what kind of heat lamp you have in the thread too, a photo of the packaging would be ideal.
Uv doesn’t travel through glass so if that’s how he’s getting sunlight, he’s not currently been receiving any uv, which is very important for your tortoises health, you’ll definitely need to add uv light, again I’ll add which one in your thread. Ambient temperatures should ideally be in the range of 80-86, 82-84 being optimal, temps should never go below 80 both night and day.
Humidity needs to be maintained at 80-85% 24/7, especially for younger ones. Misters are generally not recommended, they cause the air to stay too wet, causing respiratory issues, they can also leave the top layer of your substrate constantly wet, which could lead to a fungal infection.

Hang tight and I’ll explain how to post a thread with some step by step photos🙂

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
I’ll talk you through how to post a thread in my next reply, but right of the bat there are a few things that are going to need adjusting, he definitely needs to be put on some orchid bark, this is going to help your humidity and allow him to exhibit his natural behaviours. I’ll talk you through maintaining the humidity with that substrate in your thread.
Include what kind of heat lamp you have in the thread too, a photo of the packaging would be ideal.
Uv doesn’t travel through glass so if that’s how he’s getting sunlight, he’s not currently been receiving any uv, which is very important for your tortoises health, you’ll definitely need to add uv light, again I’ll add which one in your thread. Ambient temperatures should ideally be in the range of 80-86, 82-84 being optimal, temps should never go below 80 both night and day.
Humidity needs to be maintained at 80-85% 24/7, especially for younger ones. Misters are generally not recommended, they cause the air to stay too wet, causing respiratory issues, they can also leave the top layer of your substrate constantly wet, which could lead to a fungal infection.

Hang tight and I’ll explain how to post a thread with some step by step photos🙂

Can you like invite me to it or how do you send it again it’s all new

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
How do you make a thread
So to post a thread please follow the step by step photos I’ve attached.
And please when writing your thread answer all my previous questions with as many photos of your set up as possible, including photos of your tortoise if you can, equipment(the heat lamp) and a picture of those pellets🙂
I hope these help but any queries please ask😊

Attachments

• BB0D14B0-8FBA-45A3-BD13-428DF5BFCD7D.jpeg
    BB0D14B0-8FBA-45A3-BD13-428DF5BFCD7D.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1
  • F2C18449-4963-4FC9-AE0F-A00D9C05283B.jpeg
    F2C18449-4963-4FC9-AE0F-A00D9C05283B.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1
  • BB71C283-D507-4C7C-9778-97860926F9CE.jpeg
    BB71C283-D507-4C7C-9778-97860926F9CE.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1
  • F2F9145C-F27D-4514-B979-4A0AC4EDE8ED.jpeg
    F2F9145C-F27D-4514-B979-4A0AC4EDE8ED.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 6FCEB25D-E7D7-43AB-BF75-2C2FB51ECB54.jpeg
    6FCEB25D-E7D7-43AB-BF75-2C2FB51ECB54.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 5050A6B3-7EB2-4562-8F5B-B0DD0A2530CA.jpeg
    5050A6B3-7EB2-4562-8F5B-B0DD0A2530CA.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 1
  • BDCD2E8D-A243-48BD-8AB7-AD3BB39D02F9.jpeg
    BDCD2E8D-A243-48BD-8AB7-AD3BB39D02F9.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
@Mr.pacheco if you can’t work out a new thread, we can talk here, you’ve posted your enclosure photo here already so do the same when posting the pics of the lighting&pellets.

Hopefully you figure it out though🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Will do I will take pictures now but then have to go to bed it’s 10:00 here I think it’s different in the uk but will do
No problem at all, we can talk more when your up no worries, I’ll be around, even if there’s a delay with our time difference, all the best, speak soon🙂

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Sent them over

Attachments

• IMG_4279.jpeg
    IMG_4279.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4278.jpeg
    IMG_4278.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4277.jpeg