I NEED HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodger541

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So I recently realized that my vivarium has some ants crawling around in there with my Box turtle, her name is Paqi. I changed the substrate thinking this would solve my problem, but then a few days later, I see that they have returned. I wanted to know if this was a serious issue. The ants are normal black ants, I think they might have been attracted to some of her strawberries. Some one please help me with this problem. I need to know if this is dangerous for her and if I have to change the substrate again. Thanks a lot all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tony:

This is an indoor habitat, right? Once you get it cleaned out and have removed all the ants, you can spray something all around the outside of the habitat to keep the ants from getting back in. They won't cross a line of diatomaceous earth, or you can use Orange Guard, which is safe around children and animals. Boric Acid bait is a good killer too. But the black ants aren't harmful to your turtle.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It could be that they followed the old scent trail back to the enclosure. you will need to clean everything around the enclosure or do what Yvonne says...

dodger541

5 Year Member
Oregon
thanks for your replies, we cleaned out the tank and set some of the Terro ant bait around the tank. its been a few days, haven't seen any ants around now. thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.