i need opinions!

baldegale

so im moving in a couple weeks and just had to tear down my closed chamber. hes small for sure, but hes in a 40 breeder right now with no heat whatsoever cause i dont have an extra basking bulb for him. i have a 4’x2’ closed tank that my bearded dragon is in currently and i was wondering if i could put them together? his tank is using a 75% organic soil and 25% play sand mixture. the humidity is high at about 60-80% and the temps are on a gradient from 80° on cool side to 95° on hot side ive had them together in the 4’x8’ tank together and theyve never bothered eachother and theyve even ate side by side. this would only be temporary for a couple weeks, i just feel bad with how cold it drops in my room. i feed them the same things and my beardie eats his insects outside his tank daily

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I would not. They are both reptiles and they come from completely different continents, so you never know about bacteria, diseases, etc.

My turtle and tortoise have never "met" because of this..plus one is 1/8th the size of the other.

baldegale

I would not. They are both reptiles and they come from completely different continents, so you never know about bacteria, diseases, etc.

My turtle and tortoise have never "met" because of this..plus one is 1/8th the size of the other.

ah, theyre about the same size, ive had them together before and nothing has happened disease wise or anything

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just because nothing happened doesn't mean it's ok. You asked our opinion. Our opinion is - don't do it. Tortoises take a long time to show illness.

baldegale

Just because nothing happened doesn't mean it's ok. You asked our opinion. Our opinion is - don't do it. Tortoises take a long time to show illness.

i know, im just trying to take things into consideration, how long is a long time? asking for knowledge, not to be a smart ***. i started putting them together around april. 1-2 times a week to clean the lizards tank. also, i dont know if this means/adds anything but the bearded dragons tank is brand new, like 2 days old. brand new substrate everything

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I sure could not keep them together either, it's not a good idea for a number of reasons including the fact that their temperatures and substrate are different or should be.
A good strong cardboard box should be fine, if it's set up right for the tortoise, just temporarily until you get settled again! Maybe you can even put the box into the tank so the tortoise can get the warmth (but 95 is too high) without being exposed physically to the Beardie, and have his own enclosure within an enclosure.
All the best.