I think Curtis might be female…

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hey, guys. Recently I thought Curtis’s plastron was finally concaving, and “he” was displaying some very male-like behavior (mounting a large lump of concrete and visibly (and audibly) trying to mate with it, but there was no flashing so it could have just been territorial or aggression). However, I’ve just flipped him over, and his plastron really isn’t that concave. It’s technically concave, but not so much that I would be confident that he’s male. His gulars also aren’t super pronounced, and while I thought his anal scutes were getting more splayed and “V” shaped, they look like they’re curving inwards a bit now.

The main thing making me think female, though, is that his tail is still pretty small, but it’s really hard to tell for sure because he keeps it tucked away to the side under his shell. I imagine it would be much more prominent by now, but I figured I’d hear from people more experienced. I’ve been pretty susceptible to confirmation bias thus far because I wanted him to be male so I could keep calling him Curtis, but I’ll probably keep calling him Curtis even if he’s a she and just hope she isn’t too offended :p

Curtis is 7.5 years old and 19.5 inches across. I feel like “he” is big enough and old enough now that I should just accept the signs for female, lol. Unless someone thinks different.IMG_8494.jpegIMG_8491.jpeg
IMG_8495.jpeg
IMG_8499.jpeg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I dunno, if human behavior is any indicator I think “stupid idiot” is more likely to be male, lol. Have you ever seen those memes “why women live longer”? Here’s one example:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I dunno, if human behavior is any indicator I think “stupid idiot” is more likely to be male, lol. Have you ever seen those memes “why women live longer”? Here’s one example:

LOL, true!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It’s not often you get to attend your own gender reveal. Outside the womb, anyway. Made Curtis a cake to celebrate and so that maybe she’ll forgive me for flipping her upside down so many times today :p IMG_8501.jpeg

Button usually isn’t a fan of mazuri, but he’s definitely a fan of the Kapidolo farms mix ins! I made sure to give him a few bites, too.

IMG_8503.jpeg
IMG_8538.jpeg
IMG_8507.jpeg

IMG_8510.jpegIMG_8525.jpegIMG_8536.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8503.jpeg
    IMG_8503.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey, guys. Recently I thought Curtis’s plastron was finally concaving, and “he” was displaying some very male-like behavior (mounting a large lump of concrete and visibly (and audibly) trying to mate with it, but there was no flashing so it could have just been territorial or aggression). However, I’ve just flipped him over, and his plastron really isn’t that concave. It’s technically concave, but not so much that I would be confident that he’s male. His gulars also aren’t super pronounced, and while I thought his anal scutes were getting more splayed and “V” shaped, they look like they’re curving inwards a bit now.

The main thing making me think female, though, is that his tail is still pretty small, but it’s really hard to tell for sure because he keeps it tucked away to the side under his shell. I imagine it would be much more prominent by now, but I figured I’d hear from people more experienced. I’ve been pretty susceptible to confirmation bias thus far because I wanted him to be male so I could keep calling him Curtis, but I’ll probably keep calling him Curtis even if he’s a she and just hope she isn’t too offended :p

Curtis is 7.5 years old and 19.5 inches across. I feel like “he” is big enough and old enough now that I should just accept the signs for female, lol. Unless someone thinks different.View attachment 364693View attachment 364692
View attachment 364691
View attachment 364694
Plastron concavity and gular development tend to come later on as they mature and gain size. The earliest indicator of sex is tail size, followed by anal scute shape. If I am seeing this correctly, the tail is that little nub sticking up in the third picture, and that says female for a tortoise this size. Also, I agree that the anal scutes are curving into the "U" shape of a female.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Plastron concavity and gular development tend to come later on as they mature and gain size. The earliest indicator of sex is tail size, followed by anal scute shape. If I am seeing this correctly, the tail is that little nub sticking up in the third picture, and that says female for a tortoise this size. Also, I agree that the anal scutes are curving into the "U" shape of a female.
Yep, just a little tail on Curtis, I think. It is difficult to tell for sure because I can never get him to fully extend it, but I've seen some pictures of male tails on tortoises around his (her) size, and it seems it would be a lot more obvious if it were actually long.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep, just a little tail on Curtis, I think. It is difficult to tell for sure because I can never get him to fully extend it, but I've seen some pictures of male tails on tortoises around his (her) size, and it seems it would be a lot more obvious if it were actually long.
For reference: Female and male.
Female Sulcata.jpg
Male Sulcata.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
See, the tail is what's getting me. It's not as short and nubby as other pictures of females I see, and it seems like there is some length to the bottom/base of it. The problem is I'm not sure where the base of the tail starts because he keeps the whole thing pressed up so close against his body. It also doesn't look like a male tail, though, so I would lean more towards female right now, especially with the anal scutes curving inwards.

Just to make sure, does most of the length of a male's tail come before or after their cloaca? like do they just have a long tail tip and the cloaca is at the base of it, or is their cloaca towards the end of the tail? It's definitely towards the end of the tail on curtis and there's only a small nub beyond that.