I think Curtis might be female…

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Lovely to see buttons emerging from the grass 😀. What a lovely tortoise, I recall the adoption and it has worked out.
Yes! He's really doing great. I'm really happy with how much he'll eat now, no longer a picky eater :)
It's really nice out today, so he got to come out for some outside time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
See, the tail is what's getting me. It's not as short and nubby as other pictures of females I see, and it seems like there is some length to the bottom/base of it. The problem is I'm not sure where the base of the tail starts because he keeps the whole thing pressed up so close against his body. It also doesn't look like a male tail, though, so I would lean more towards female right now, especially with the anal scutes curving inwards.

Just to make sure, does most of the length of a male's tail come before or after their cloaca? like do they just have a long tail tip and the cloaca is at the base of it, or is their cloaca towards the end of the tail? It's definitely towards the end of the tail on curtis and there's only a small nub beyond that.
Males have two or three inches of tail after the cloacal opening. Females have a tiny nub after the cloacal opening.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Looks like I definitely have a female then. Hopefully she won’t be too perturbed by being called “he” for the next 70 or so years…
Just call her Ms. Curtis...or Mrs. Curtis Turdess. I was really happy when I found out Sapphire can't hear a dang thing. It's should be easier to sneak up on him. Guess what it's not. But I'm sure he doesn't care that he has a so called girl's name 😂 I'm still wondering how people can consider Sapphire a girl's name since it's a dang rock.😊