I think my baby is sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redhead

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Yesterday I noticed Rudy opening her mouth occasionally (maybe 3 times) when she was breathing. It was not a yawn. This morning when I picked her up for her soak I heard a faint clicking. I'm really worried. I'm taking her to the vet today. She's still eating and active. She LOVES being held and having her neck rubbed. I don't want to lose my tort. That's why I'm here before I go to the vet... I don't want them to give her something that's not safe. The vet is listed on this website.
Any medications I need to avoid? And, where did I go wrong??? :(
Temps: 81 cool, 85 warm, 92-95 basking. Humidity never gets below 80%.
I included a picture from this morning. She's growing! She's gained 23g since I brought her home. She now weighs 149g (8 months old according to the breeder).
Any advice & help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image-3685078441.png
    image-3685078441.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • image-2454846605.png
    image-2454846605.png
    820.1 KB · Views: 27

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry I can't help you. I tried searching for some info on meds to be careful about but could t find any. If you don't get an answer before your visit, check back on here when you get home and see if there are any answers before giving any meds yourself. Good luck. Hope all goes well. Your enclosure looks great.

Redhead

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Thank you! I searched too, but I couldn't find anything either. Hopefully, he's as knowledgable as he says about torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not good on redfooted tortoises, however, I've read a lot here on the forum about redfooteds and clicking sounds. Seems its quite normal for them. The gasping is another story. Have you checked to see if his nose is plugged up?

Redhead

5 Year Member
San Antonio
I did check her nose. It's clear. Her eyes aren't draining. She hasn't opened her mouth today except to eat... :)
She hisses when I pick her up sometimes, but I haven't heard this sound from her before. It's a very faint clicking.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Redhead said:
I did check her nose. It's clear. Her eyes aren't draining. She hasn't opened her mouth today except to eat... :)
She hisses when I pick her up sometimes, but I haven't heard this sound from her before. It's a very faint clicking.
Clicking and hissing is USUALLY normal.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I don't know about the clicking either, I don't work with redfoots, but with any tortoise, the following is a very good sign.:

Redhead said:
She's still eating and active. She LOVES being held and having her neck rubbed.

Redhead said:

Redhead

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Y'all (I'm southern) are making me feel MUCH better! I'm still taking her to the vet though for more reassurance. :D
I still need them to do a stool test. Her poo is never firm. It's always mushy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's more from what she eats than anything else. Do you feed lots of fruit? squishy poops!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The only warning I could give you would be is to not have your vet give vitamin A injection. They tend to give it and overdose them on A. If there is no discharge and you hear some clicking, here is what I have done for my redfoot with similar symptoms. I kept him warm. Bumped his temps up maybe 5* , soaked him daily. Offered him a good diet. After about a week and a half he was better. Im no expert. This is just what worked for me and my guy...

travisc

5 Year Member
Indiana
my red foots have done this before and made the clicking sound I didn't see them breathing with the mouth open though. they are sick they have a upper or lower respiratory infection I forget witch one it is. if the tortoise isn't to sick just bring the temp up a bit if you can and try to keep her warm and clean.

Redhead

5 Year Member
San Antonio
emysemys said:
That's more from what she eats than anything else. Do you feed lots of fruit? squishy poops!

She gets fruit 3 times a week. Maybe that's the culprit. I fed her some papaya, mango, and a strawberry a this week. She also loves mushrooms. Will that also cause it?

I can't thank each of you enough for being so helpful. I'm so glad I found this forum.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Hope Rudy gets to feeling better soon. The enclosure is neat!

Redhead

5 Year Member
San Antonio
kjr153 said:

Thanks! We're working on a new outdoor enclosure for her during the day. Living in south Texas means my torts can stay outside most of the year. The only problem I see with the climate here is heat. I'm buying shade cloth and sprinklers to help with that. :)

abclements

5 Year Member
My Cherry likes to click when he's not happy with me. Usually the humidity is low or hes hungry. Ive noticed he likes to click much more frequently on days he doesnt get food... (i fast him 1 saturday a month). As long as his nose is dry and eyes are clear, i wouldn't worry at all! :)

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
Redhead said:
kjr153 said:

Thanks! We're working on a new outdoor enclosure for her during the day. Living in south Texas means my torts can stay outside most of the year. The only problem I see with the climate here is heat. I'm buying shade cloth and sprinklers to help with that. :)

I personally wouldn't let the vet "do" anything if the only symptom was an odd sound... if they recommend more diagnostics and you have the $$$ for that.. no harm no foul.. but injections of any type would seem unwarranted at this time..
That being said.. I don't think I would build an enclosure anywhere in southern tx that had sun on it after 9am if possible.. and check on your little guy OFTEN.. if a baby tort flips on their back in the sun.. not good, you may have to redesign the pen a few times to avoid this..

Redhead

5 Year Member
San Antonio
I am going to cover with 80% shade cloth and sprinklers on timers. I will definitely be watching them closely. I won't leave them outside 24/7 for a while. Just for a few hours daily and bring them in at night. I'm also going to cover (lockable) it until they're bigger.
It does get very hot here during the summer...I'm hoping a heavily planted area with mostly shade will protect them from it.

Michael in MO said:
I personally wouldn't let the vet "do" anything if the only symptom was an odd sound... if they recommend more diagnostics and you have the $$$ for that.. no harm no foul.. but injections of any type would seem unwarranted at this time..
That being said.. I don't think I would build an enclosure anywhere in southern tx that had sun on it after 9am if possible.. and check on your little guy OFTEN.. if a baby tort flips on their back in the sun.. not good, you may have to redesign the pen a few times to avoid this..

Almost forgot...the vet said Rudy is a very healthy tort! No need for any meds. :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Redhead said:
I am going to cover with 80% shade cloth and sprinklers on timers. I will definitely be watching them closely. I won't leave them outside 24/7 for a while. Just for a few hours daily and bring them in at night. I'm also going to cover (lockable) it until they're bigger.
It does get very hot here during the summer...I'm hoping a heavily planted area with mostly shade will protect them from it.

Almost forgot...the vet said Rudy is a very healthy tort! No need for any meds. :D

That's great news!

Status
Not open for further replies.