I think something wrong

drowningindemons

Location (City and/or State)
Lake worth florida, in Home land
I have a red footed tortoise and I think it's a girl but originally they said he was a boy (pet store) he has a heat lamp and everything. I recently bought him new lamps and a hideout because the lamps were old and the hideout was too small. But now all he does is hide in the corner of the cage in the bedding. He's not eating or drinking. I've picked him up and placed him near lettuce but he just walks back to the corner. He's not moving a lot and I don't know what to do please help

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
What kind of lamp? Pictures are helpful. If it is a coil bulb, that is likely your problem. Well or his problem. They cause eye problems. Sometimes when you change things it takes a few days for them to adjust.

drowningindemons

I turned off the spiral lamp even before he stopped moving because I hear it was bad for them. The bulbs where neodymium basking bulb by all living things. And (which I stopped) reptile uvb 100 which idk what company

drowningindemons

He's moving now because I picked him up but this is his cage ( it's kinda small but my parents won't let me get anything bigger)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434685754.612655.jpg. Ps. I did research and the red footed tort females tend to have oval shells. Is he female?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
OK, can you post us your temperatures?
Basking spot, hot side, cool side, night time.
What are you feeding him/her?, Not just lettuce I hope, lettuce is mostly water and contains only a small percentage of useful vitamins, your tort needs a mixed diet.
Those water features are too difficult for the tortoise to get in and out of and pose a flip hazard, shallow terracotta saucers sunk into the substrate are better, big enough ones for it to soak in.
What is your humidity? it looks very dry in there to me and much too small to make him happy.
You must try to persuade your parents that he needs a larger enclosure.
Does he get outside time?
If not you must get an MVB bulb or a strip UVB light.
Sorry, but trying to help your tortoise.

drowningindemons

we have nothing for humidity and I don't have a thermometer :( it's 70ish at night though. I feed tort lettuce, tomatoes , and sometimes cucumbers we just haven't gone shopping yet so today it was just lettuce. Il get him a new water bowl it's just that pet stores have like nothing for torts. I feel really bad that I can't give him the care he needs and deserves but my parents are hard to convince because everything in his cage (not including the cage) was about 300$ and they really don't want to spend any more money. I take him outside sometimes but we have raccoons and thunderstorms so he can't have an outdoor enclosure.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't keep Redfoots, but if you look at this recent link http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/baby-red-foot-night-time-temp.118467/
you will see your temps are much too low and your humidity must be kept very high.
Also the diet is wrong see http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/red-foot-diet.119672/
terracotta saucers can be bought very cheaply from stores like Home Depot.
You must take him out for a few hours a week under supervision if he doesn't have UVB and you can't build a secure outdoor enclosure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can get many of the things you need at a hardware store or even on craigslist for a secondhand store. Check out the threads posted above and check out the Redfoot tortoise section under the south American tortoises heading. Maybe your parents can also read through them and you guys can work together to get your tortoise a better living arrangement. You can also build a secure outdoor enclosure and then bring your tortoise in at night if you would like. Again it does not have to be expensive.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Can you get a bookshelf? You can turn it on it back and line it with a cheap shower curtain.
I do agree that a outdoor enclosure would be great for him and then bring him at night.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The paint won't matter if you line the whole thing with a shower curtain as Momof4 suggested.
But you must have it covered, not only for security from your cats, who are liable to use it as a litter tray even if they don't bother the tortoise, but also to retain the humidity.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The paint doesn't matter if your line the entire inside of it bottom and sides with a shower curtain. You can make a cheap and easy cover for very little money if you go to Home Depot and get some wire and wood to make a frame. Look at the red foot section for threads about outdoor enclosures. I think that would be the cheapest and easiest way to go in the long run. Your tortoise could get enough UVB that you don't have to worry about the expense of bulb. And the indoor night enclosure doesn't have to be that big. Talk to your parents about that, maybe they will be more supportive.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Do you guys have a Habitat Restore near year? I would check. They sell all sorts of used home improvement stuff. If you can find a bookshelf and an old screen door you are set. Craigslist. Drive around on trash pick up days... lots of things you can do for cheap. Or just make a simple wood frame from scraps from any of these places and purchase chicken wire/hardware cloth to make a screen top. Try and think outside the box. :) You can search the forum for suggestions or even Google. (I built a raised bed for our guy.) He really needs more room and this would be a great beginning!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Can you get a bookshelf? You can turn it on it back and line it with a cheap shower curtain.
I do agree that a outdoor enclosure would be great for him and then bring him at night.
Hi. What of those like us living in flats? NO outdoor enclosure!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Could you guys post pictures of your torts enclosures? I'm a little confused and curious of new ideas lol
Hi, and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Do NOT worry and do NOT get confused. It's only a matter of time; for BOTH you and your tort.

As was mentioned, torts take a LOT of time to adapt to: new owner, place, environment, weather and the rest. You need PATIENCE here. So take it easy: you'll get used to the forum and its friendly members who are helpful, and your tort will eventually get used to anything new. Good luck.