ID please

Phreeflow

Location (City and/or State)
CA
This little fella popped up at a local shelter and I was considering giving it a home but neither the shelter or I know what species it is. i wanna make sure we can provide the proper care before adopting.

Can anyone please ID it?

1640827291228.png

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Can you get any better pictures of the plastron/carapace. I'm pretty sure it's not a tortoise it's a water turtle but hard to tell what kind from picture. @Markw84

Phreeflow

CA
Can you get any better pictures of the plastron/carapace. I'm pretty sure it's not a tortoise it's a water turtle but hard to tell what kind from picture. @Markw84
Thanks for the response. That’s the only picture the shelter provided. I haven’t gone out to look at it as I’d like to know what it is first.

It’s listed as a turtle but I was wondering if it could a tortoise die to the shape of the head. Could it be a type of box turtle?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No it's not a box Turtle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Without seeing better pictures I'm guessing it's probably Actinemys marmorata, which is protected in its native range and illegal to own.

Phreeflow

CA
Hmmm…never heard of that species before Yvonne. It’s good to have experts. I did look up pics and it does indeed look similar but the the pics I saw seemed to lack the blotches of yellow on the shell.

Could it possibly be a musk turtle like Zeropilot suggests?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It is definitely not a musk turtle. It does look like a Northern Pacific Pond Turtle Actinemys marmorata. Where are you located in California? Northern? I've seen many northerns (marmorata) that have a lot of the lighter brown in the shell like that. The picture is a bad angle and distorts the shape of the head somewhat.

I'm 95% sure that is what it is. Native to California and illegal to own

Phreeflow

CA
I’m in SoCal and that’s a listing at a local animal shelter. You figure they’d know what they’re listing. Anyways, glad I asked the forum…I’ll be passing on it. Thx all