Ideas to update a tank?

Buddytheboxie

Hi guys! i just recently adopted/rescued this 3 toed box turtle from my niece. he originally had that green carpet on the bottom of his tank and I recently changed it to dirt and he was super happy. I also updated his tank from a 20/30 gallon to a 55 gallon. I don't know the temps in his tank because i have yet to buy thermometers (tight on money at the moment, but it is next on my to buy list), but i was wondering if you guys had any advice.

I included pictures of his current tank set up and him eating a
mealworm:)

Attachments

• 1480551975080-502799316.jpg
    1480551975080-502799316.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1480552013857672605853.jpg
    1480552013857672605853.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 20161109_180325.jpg
    20161109_180325.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 36

domagoj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
What type of lighting do you have?
The substrate looks little dry but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not familiar with boxies but maybe a deeper water bowl would be nice. I hope someone more experienced can tell you more.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Firstly, I hope that last photo of him eating is high resolution because you need to enter it for the TFO calendar next year (competition will start September ish) I just love it!

Your substrate looks very dry. What humidity do you have? It should be evenly damp. To achieve that, take all the decor out, tip water water in with it and stir it up with your hands. Take care not to over do it. Wetness causes shell rot, you need damp!

What temperatures do you have in the enclosure? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum? These need to be measured at tortoise level on the floor of the enclosure. A temperature gun type thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) does the job best.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hi guys! i just recently adopted/rescued this 3 toed box turtle from my niece. he originally had that green carpet on the bottom of his tank and I recently changed it to dirt and he was super happy. I also updated his tank from a 20/30 gallon to a 55 gallon. I don't know the temps in his tank because i have yet to buy thermometers (tight on money at the moment, but it is next on my to buy list), but i was wondering if you guys had any advice.

I included pictures of his current tank set up and him eating a
mealworm:)

Hello, hello, hello, first and foremost, great job improving this 3 toeds living conditions!! I also want you to know even veterans of the trade will tweek their enclosure as they learn more about each individual turtle. However, one thing is clear with box turtles, a dry substrate is generally not a good thing. In a lot of cases it will eventually lead to poor health conditions for your turtle such as an upper respiratory infection. Like others stated, you want to get your substrate damp not wet and then to maintain take a garden spray bottle with water and mist it daily. Personally I would add a plant or two like a small fern or pothos still in a pot buried in the substrate. The plant will provide added cover and humidity. There are box turtle care sheets provided on here for reference. The key to all of this is providing the proper lighting, maintaining optimal humidity and temps, daily clean water, and proper diet for a healthy box turtle. I keep my indoor 3 toeds temps around 70-75 on cool side and 80-85 on warm side. Humidity 70-80% I keep them in a non drafty room so I do not provide night heat or lights. Others may differ on this theory but this would be very similar to what they experience in the wild. All of my lights are on timers and I use both an acu-rite digital thermometer with humidity gauge plus temp gun. Both can be found pretty cheaply online. Hope this helps and good luck!

Buddytheboxie

Firstly, I hope that last photo of him eating is high resolution because you need to enter it for the TFO calendar next year (competition will start September ish) I just love it!

Your substrate looks very dry. What humidity do you have? It should be evenly damp. To achieve that, take all the decor out, tip water water in with it and stir it up with your hands. Take care not to over do it. Wetness causes shell rot, you need damp!

What temperatures do you have in the enclosure? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum? These need to be measured at tortoise level on the floor of the enclosure. A temperature gun type thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) does the job best.
I have all kinds of pictures of this little stinker. He has quite the personality in the short time that i have had him.
I am spraying his tank now that i know it needs higher humidity and i am currnetly soaking him in a bowl before i leave for school. however you said take a dish of water and pour it into his tank?? to moisten up the dirt? i just want to make sure i am reading what you wrote correctly.

Buddytheboxie

This is the light box that was given to me for the warmer side of the tank. the "cool" side has a blue/purple night light that stays on 24/7 while the white light is on a timer.
Like i said in the first post i had to pay for school so i am short on monet to buy the thermometers until after the weekend. :(

Attachments

• 1480600560499-423723758.jpg
    1480600560499-423723758.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 18

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have all kinds of pictures of this little stinker. He has quite the personality in the short time that i have had him.
I am spraying his tank now that i know it needs higher humidity and i am currnetly soaking him in a bowl before i leave for school. however you said take a dish of water and pour it into his tank?? to moisten up the dirt? i just want to make sure i am reading what you wrote correctly.
Yes, the dirt needs to be dampened throughout.

If it's bone dry, you'll never raise humidity. The spraying just slows the rate at which the substrate dries out.

Like I said, do it carefully so it is all damp rather than wet. You don't want mud.

A tortoise needs warm humidity, so it's important that your temperatures are correct too.

Cold and damp will lead to a respiratory infection. Wet leads to shell rot.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is the light box that was given to me for the warmer side of the tank. the "cool" side has a blue/purple night light that stays on 24/7 while the white light is on a timer.
Like i said in the first post i had to pay for school so i am short on monet to buy the thermometers until after the weekend. :(
That bulb only gives basking heat. You don't appear to have anything for UVB and you must.

Your tortoise needs UVB light so that it can make vitamin D3 and this helps it use dietary calcium to have a healthy shell and bones. Without UVB your tortoise will get a soft shell and become very sick. Tortoises kept outside get UVB from the sun.

I'm not a fan of coloured night bulbs. Tortoises should have complete darkness at night. I prefer a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat for night time use. A CHE looks like this:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480602245.542773.jpg

However, the UVB is the most urgent concern at the moment

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I recommend getting a digital combination thermometer/humidity gauge from Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.
Thy're not expensive and they are very durable and reliable.

Buddytheboxie

k
That bulb only gives basking heat. You don't appear to have anything for UVB and you must.

Your tortoise needs UVB light so that it can make vitamin D3 and this helps it use dietary calcium to have a healthy shell and bones. Without UVB your tortoise will get a soft shell and become very sick. Tortoises kept outside get UVB from the sun.

I'm not a fan of coloured night bulbs. Tortoises should have complete darkness at night. I prefer a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat for night time use. A CHE looks like this:
View attachment 193569

However, the UVB is the most urgent concern at the moment
Okay i shall change the night blue light to a UVB light the moment i get the chance! i had no idea he was in this bad of a condition!

Buddytheboxie

Yes, the dirt needs to be dampened throughout.

If it's bone dry, you'll never raise humidity. The spraying just slows the rate at which the substrate dries out.

Like I said, do it carefully so it is all damp rather than wet. You don't want mud.

A tortoise needs warm humidity, so it's important that your temperatures are correct too.

Cold and damp will lead to a respiratory infection. Wet leads to shell rot.
Okay i shall try this when i get home tonight! damp not soaked! my poor baby! would dry dirt be the reason why his shell is dry?

Buddytheboxie

Ok
I recommend getting a digital combination thermometer/humidity gauge from Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.
Thy're not expensive and they are very durable and reliable.
Okay thanks for telling me where to get a cheaper one! should i have one on both sides of the tank or just one?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Depending on your location, you can get by without a uvb light so long as you can get your box turtle outdoors in the sunlight for a couple hours a week. Temps should be mid 60's+ outside. If you can not do this then you must get a UVB light of some sort. The light you currently have is too intense and is the causing the substrate to really dry out. I would just replace it with a 75 w incandescent bulb for now until you can afford one. Personally I've always used an uvb hood light and then just a incandescent bulb for a basking light. Like shown below. Just the way I do it. If my little guys were inside all year round I would get a trex mercury vapor and call it good:)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480605071.933508.jpg

Buddytheboxie

Depending on your location, you can get by without a uvb light so long as you can get your box turtle outdoors in the sunlight for a couple hours a week. Temps should be mid 60's+ outside. If you can not do this then you must get a UVB light of some sort. The light you currently have is too intense and is the causing the substrate to really dry out. I would just replace it with a 75 w incandescent bulb for now until you can afford one. Personally I've always used an uvb hood light and then just a incandescent bulb for a basking light. Like shown below. Just the way I do it. If my little guys were inside all year round I would get a trex mercury vapor and call it good:)View attachment 193576
Yeah i will take him out in the summer but it is suppose to snow today... i am in chicago lol and i will replace it!! once i change up his tank i will post more pictures! i will change over the weekend

Buddytheboxie

Okay guys i can only afford either the uvb/heat lamp or thermometers... i am choosing the lamps right now cause i feel like at the immediate moment that is more important.
I included a picture of the lights that i am thinking about getting. are these good??? i really don't want to get the wrong one.... :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161201-173440.png
    Screenshot_20161201-173440.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Okay guys i can only afford either the uvb/heat lamp or thermometers... i am choosing the lamps right now cause i feel like at the immediate moment that is more important.
I included a picture of the lights that i am thinking about getting. are these good??? i really don't want to get the wrong one.... :(
Not that double lamp. That has a compact (coil type) UVB that harms tort eyes and along side it is regular basking lamp which you have already.

You need a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027J0QHO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 (you may be able to find a better price; I didn't spend long looking)

And use that to replace your existing basking spot. The MVB is very hot and needs a ceramic lamp holder that won't melt like plastic would. Yours may be OK, I can't tell :)

Buddytheboxie

Not that double lamp. That has a compact (coil type) UVB that harms tort eyes and along side it is regular basking lamp which you have already.

You need a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027J0QHO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 (you may be able to find a better price; I didn't spend long looking)

And use that to replace your existing basking spot. The MVB is very hot and needs a ceramic lamp holder that won't melt like plastic would. Yours may be OK, I can't tell :)
I shall start looking for one! it just helps with visuals so i dont go looking blind! thank you
And this is the dome things that i have currently. i could always get another or replace one of the lights i currently have.

Attachments

• 1480691745944-1952908505.jpg
    1480691745944-1952908505.jpg
    962.7 KB · Views: 13

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The one on the right looks like its ceramic that could hold the MVB. Not sure about the one on the left.

Are they resting on some sort of screen?

Mesh obstructs UVB. You need no obstruction between the lamps and the tortoise