Identify a turtle for me?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Okay, I imagine this is going to be near impossible but I could do with some help. I'm trying to identify a turtle without a picture but please bare with me... it's a turtle at college and I don't have a clue what type he is, and I need to create a feeding plan for him... so here goes!

He has a brown shell with ridges/spikes along his spine. He is more long than round. He has a long neck and grey skin with no spots. He tends to bite people when he has the opportunity but he isn't a snapping turtle. He has round eyes with black pupils. Webbed feet.

I'm sorry I can't give more detail.... anybody have any clues as to what he might be?? I can google the images of them then and see if he matches.

Thanks!

EDIT: he looks like this, but this isn't him:
turtle2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
How large is it? Sounds like a musk turtle of some kind

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Defiantly post a picture of yours still. Map turtle species can easily be confused. So the map you posted might not be the exact map species you have.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's a female male turtle for sure. Probably a false map. Pictures will help confirm this

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Diamondbacks4Life said:
Defiantly post a picture of yours still. Map turtle species can easily be confused. So the map you posted might not be the exact map species you have.

This is most important. Many people unfamiliar with them get the three most-common map species confused easily.

Please post pictures of your animal and we'll get it IDd in a hurry.

jacktaylor900

5 Year Member
Looks like a Mississippi map! Cool they are great turtles very active and bask a lot

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Okay well I'm back in college on Monday so I will get a picture. He swims a lot and I've never seen him bask. So he's very active.

Do the 3 maps have very different dietary needs?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If its 9inches long than its definitely a "she" . The most common maps (common,false,Mississippi,ouachita) all have extremely similar habits and dietary requirements. In captivity they can all be housed the same way.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
LeopardTortLover said:
Okay well I'm back in college on Monday so I will get a picture. He swims a lot and I've never seen him bask. So he's very active.

Do the 3 maps have very different dietary needs?

Those 3 have pretty much identical care. (there are a total of 16 map species and subspecies).

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The pic is a OUACHITA/FALSE map integrate most likely.. due to the single spot behind eye. Their ranges cross in a very large area.

There are so many integrates out there you don't know .. only if you find it do you have a better chance.

They all feed basically the same and all are great baskers. They NEED large pools to survive well!