Identifying Species

Mercedes

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Hi, I have recently acquired eight tortoises through a move the old owners took a couple but left eight but did not leave any real instruction on caring for them. I was looking into how much I should be feeding them and I see it depends on species which I have no idea so if someone could help me identify the tortoises maybe I can better care for them. Thank you

unnamed-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mercedes and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not clear on the Texas state laws for keeping the Texas tortoise, but here in California, we have to register our native tortoises with the State Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Texas tortoises (Gopherus berlandieri) are grazers and eat grasses and weeds. The easiest way to care for them is to have them in a large fenced yard with a few shrubs for shade and lots of grass to eat. They will need some sort of little pool to drink from and wade in and a shelter or two where they can get out of the heat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to mention that if all the tortoises look like that one in the bottom of the picture, they are way thin. Take a look at his front leg. There's no meat on it, just skin over bone. My suggestion is to put them all into separate tubs of water and let them sit there for a good half hour. The water should come up to the middle of his sides. Then, prepare a nice salad of zucchini, escarole, endive, romaine, turnip green and kale. Feed like this daily until you can see that they have put on a bit of weight. I suggest not allowing hibernation this winter, but keep them up to fatten them up. Then next year you can allow them to graze and go easy on the salad.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida

I'm not clear on the Texas state laws for keeping the Texas tortoise, but here in California, we have to register our native tortoises with the State Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Texas tortoises (Gopherus berlandieri) are grazers and eat grasses and weeds. The easiest way to care for them is to have them in a large fenced yard with a few shrubs for shade and lots of grass to eat. They will need some sort of little pool to drink from and wade in and a shelter or two where they can get out of the heat.
How can you tell these from manouria?

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX

Gopherus berlandieri is illegal to possess in the state of Texas without a permit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How can you tell these from manouria?

You're just going by color. I'm thinking that's not a good camera and the color isn't the real color. Manouria have HUGE leg scales, front and back.

Mercedes

San Antonio
I took pictures on an iPhone 7 plus.. the color is pretty accurate.
You're just going by color. I'm thinking that's not a good camera and the color isn't the real color. Manouria have HUGE leg scales, front and back.

Mercedes

San Antonio

Okay, I just moved into a home and the previous owners left them behind. I am really actually intrigued by them as animals they are pretty awesome and I really would like to do right by them. I well definitely do some research on Texas laws regarding permits. How much does a tortoise need to eat a day they appeared to be eating lettuce I gave kale once the two heads of lettuce in the fridge were gone one for each day they ate a head of lettuce a day split between two meals. I've only moved in this weekend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Great advice from Yvonne above.

You should be feeding them as much as they will eat of the right stuff daily. For 8 of them, you'll need about a case of store bought produce per day. Don't be alarmed. There are much better things to feed them, and lots of it is free. I typed this up for sulcatas, so just use a lot less emphasis on grass, but check out the list of good foods to feed.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/page-17#post-1518869

Mercedes

San Antonio
I forgot to mention that if all the tortoises look like that one in the bottom of the picture, they are way thin. Take a look at his front leg. There's no meat on it, just skin over bone. My suggestion is to put them all into separate tubs of water and let them sit there for a good half hour. The water should come up to the middle of his sides. Then, prepare a nice salad of zucchini, escarole, endive, romaine, turnip green and kale. Feed like this daily until you can see that they have put on a bit of weight. I suggest not allowing hibernation this winter, but keep them up to fatten them up. Then next year you can allow them to graze and go easy on the salad.

Wow, I had no idea I have been so lost on how to care for them. I've been researching tortoise trying to give them veggies and refresh their water twice a day so I could make sure to care for them correctly. This is great information I feel a little horrible now. How much food should each one be getting? My original concern was they weren't getting enough food that is why I kept looking I am glad I found this forum. Thank you.

Mercedes

San Antonio
Hello and welcome.

Great advice from Yvonne above.

You should be feeding them as much as they will eat of the right stuff daily. For 8 of them, you'll need about a case of store bought produce per day. Don't be alarmed. There are much better things to feed them, and lots of it is free. I typed this up for sulcatas, so just use a lot less emphasis on grass, but check out the list of good foods to feed.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/page-17#post-1518869
Thank you, this is very helpful!