If you had $4000 to build, what would it be?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I have a Sulcata that is 13 months, 3 lbs, 7 1/2 inches. I am looking into options for the best housing for her in the frozen months in Ohio in the future. I have currently: a 16 x 12 barn I could use that is sitting empty. & I have an pasture area that is about 40 foot wide & could be 200 feet long. All grass & weeds. I thought about using my 4K budget to build a nice sized green house to attach to the 16x12 barn with heat cables in the ground.... There so many options! What would you do? ( Fencing is not part of the budget)

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
The heating with underground cable seems like a great idea. I think Yvonne is doing that very thing, I think. The underground cables could be tubes with water that is circulated and heated by whatever source you want. Turn on and off. Then if the torts make a mess of the place and get to the tubes it wouldn't be fried torts but a leak.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The heating with underground cable seems like a great idea. I think Yvonne is doing that very thing, I think. The underground cables could be tubes with water that is circulated and heated by whatever source you want. Turn on and off. Then if the torts make a mess of the place and get to the tubes it wouldn't be fried torts but a leak.
Yeah we were looking at using water tubes and a hot water heater to heat the ground. Seen that another member did this and I love the idea!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would invest it in a box for sure. The lower the ceiling the better. I've seen some down here in Texas that are 12x12 only 4' tall. The roof it hatched in sections to open up and check on them. If you have that amount you can pour a slab about 4" thick and snake heater cables in the rebar before pouring the concrete. Should heat the entire box no problem. The key is to project out into the future. Especially with that amount. You don't want to spend that much for something that will be outgrown, or not used in a year or two.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also have a 12'x12'x36' barn that I'm going to be moving my Aldabran tortoises into when they widen my street and take off the front of my property (my aldabran's yard). I'm going to build an insulated shed inside of the barn at one end. There will be a door with vinyl strips and they will be able to come and go during any weather.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I would invest it in a box for sure. The lower the ceiling the better. I've seen some down here in Texas that are 12x12 only 4' tall. The roof it hatched in sections to open up and check on them. If you have that amount you can pour a slab about 4" thick and snake heater cables in the rebar before pouring the concrete. Should heat the entire box no problem. The key is to project out into the future. Especially with that amount. You don't want to spend that much for something that will be outgrown, or not used in a year or two.
A box will be part of it for sure, no matter what. I'm looking long term room for her as she grows. Space to roam in the winter is a concern. Thanks!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I also have a 12'x12'x36' barn that I'm going to be moving my Aldabran tortoises into when they widen my street and take off the front of my property (my aldabran's yard). I'm going to build an insulated shed inside of the barn at one end. There will be a door with vinyl strips and they will be able to come and go during any weather.

How much heated space do you reccomend for winter use? We get 0 temps and I'm willing to spend, just want to make sure i spend it right.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
A box will be part of it for sure, no matter what. I'm looking long term room for her as she grows. Space to roam in the winter is a concern. Thanks!
Well in the construction world we go at about 75 bucks a square foot. For concrete, framing, electrical, plumbing, insulation, siding,brick, and stucco to paint and carpet. So naturally delete almost all those trades and your around 15-20 bucks a square foot. Which would put you in budget for a 250-300 square foot enclosure. That's roughly 16'x16' which is decent size for a Sulcata in winter.mthey don't roam much inside when it's cold, and will come out on sunny days. But that's here in Texas. Up north it may not ever get sunny or low 40-50s for your guy to get out.

I'd do a slab and frame walls with 2x6 same with the roof, and have it poly sealed insulated then cover the walls with 3/8" plywood caulk and paint. Poly insulation is almost as cheap as fiberglass and completely seals any vapor, or draft within the all cavity. I could run a quick estimate for exactly what you would spend going this route, keeping in kind you know an electrician that wouldn't charge you an arm or leg to wire the building. Solar can get very pricy even for a low wattage system.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Well in the construction world we go at about 75 bucks a square foot. For concrete, framing, electrical, plumbing, insulation, siding,brick, and stucco to paint and carpet. So naturally delete almost all those trades and your around 15-20 bucks a square foot. Which would put you in budget for a 250-300 square foot enclosure. That's roughly 16'x16' which is decent size for a Sulcata in winter.mthey don't roam much inside when it's cold, and will come out on sunny days. But that's here in Texas. Up north it may not ever get sunny or low 40-50s for your guy to get out.

I'd do a slab and frame walls with 2x6 same with the roof, and have it poly sealed insulated then cover the walls with 3/8" plywood caulk and paint. Poly insulation is almost as cheap as fiberglass and completely seals any vapor, or draft within the all cavity. I could run a quick estimate for exactly what you would spend going this route, keeping in kind you know an electrician that wouldn't charge you an arm or leg to wire the building. Solar can get very pricy even for a low wattage system.

We have elec, concrete, & any HVAC, that is needed covered. So we will save a lot there. I I already have a 16 x 12 barn on my property not being used, but its not insulated. Do you think I could some how save any $ and use this as the frame. We are not closed off from spending more if its best or improves the quality of life. Just want to make sure we are smart about it & have a well thought out plan using what we got too if we can. If this can be winter proofed & heated, I can add the extra cash into an additional green house that could be used in rainy season & hopefully winter. I appreciate the tip about using Poly insulation, will deff do that.
Do you think its possible to heat a 16X8 green house space (from the ground) sufficiently enough to use as additional space? Again, Thanks for the help!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well if you have that already up I'd just use it. The problem always comes from the height of the ceiling.its really water space that needs to be heated. I installed poly cables to a water heater in my building because it's dirt floor. Even down here in Texas the ground gets pretty cold. So I would say it would be very very difficult to heat up north to temperature suitable. That's why my next greenhouse will be a heated slab then I will pack dirt on top of the concrete. It's hard to fight against Mother Nature and mass size of a state, county, or even city. So it's best to encapsulate the whole enclosure by having a good foundation. To begin with.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Well if you have that already up I'd just use it. The problem always comes from the height of the ceiling.its really water space that needs to be heated. I installed poly cables to a water heater in my building because it's dirt floor. Even down here in Texas the ground gets pretty cold. So I would say it would be very very difficult to heat up north to temperature suitable. That's why my next greenhouse will be a heated slab then I will pack dirt on top of the concrete. It's hard to fight against Mother Nature and mass size of a state, county, or even city. So it's best to encapsulate the whole enclosure by having a good foundation. To begin with.

Awesome, I think heated slab will be the way we will go. Seriously appreciate your advice. I am going to close off a good amount of the ceiling for a make shift hay loft so hopefully that will help too. I look at it this way: Its not my sully's fault she ended up in a frozen waste land, I can at least try to make up for it :)