Ignorant So. Cal fool

Patito

Location (City and/or State)
West Covina, CA
IMG_20180802_113722.jpg IMG_20180802_113653.jpg Hi everyone, I am new here and I joined because I am trying to see how I can give my tortoise for adoption. I went to a pet store 2 years ago and saw these tiny cute tortoises climbing on each other to get the lettuce in a tank, there were some bigger ones, about 5 inches long underneath. I asked the attendant if they lived in water (clueless) to which he said no, and was that how big they got (5 inches), to which he said yes Needless to say, I brought him (can't tell yet with my limited knowledge) home, to my apartment. Well, after noticing he was growing a bit faster than I had anticipated I researched online. It's a Sulcata....I have a Sulcata in my 1 bedroom apartment. Please forgive meeeee for I knew not what I did. In any case, I have taken very good care of him and to me he's the prettiest Sulcata of all the ones I've seen. He eats A LOT, and I thought tortoises we're slow but this one is a little turbo. Also, he loves to scare me, when I let him roam and accidentally wake him, he hisses loudly. First time I heard him it freakedfme out! In any case, I am doing him a disservice by keeping him with me. Do you guys know of any rescue in So. Cal where I can take him? Or would a knowledgeable and responsible tortoise owner provide my Osiris a better home than I can? Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20180802_113712.jpg
    IMG_20180802_113712.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The pet store did the disservice to you and the tort for their lies.
You can put a rehiring ad in out adoption section and give him away for free. Unfortunately you haven't used our forum enough to post a for sale ad.
We also have a member that does rescues. She lives in Clovis CA. Have no idea how far that is from you though. @Yvonne G

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and thanks for considering his welfare! I hope someone here will soon advise you.

Patito

West Covina, CA
Hello and Welcome. The pet store did the disservice to you and the tort for their lies.
You can put a rehiring ad in out adoption section and give him away for free. Unfortunately you haven't used our forum enough to post a for sale ad.
We also have a member that does rescues. She lives in Clovis CA. Have no idea how far that is from you though. @Yvonne G

I have no interest in benefiting monetarily from a sale, I just want him to be well cared for. I am about 18 miles east of downtown LA so Clovis is a few hours drive away. I will try the adoption section. Thank you for the info.

Patito

West Covina, CA
Hi, I bought a Sulcata two years ago from a pet shop, were they misinformed me if the size and age it would live to. I have cared for him for the last two years and when first noticing his rate if growth, I conducted internet research. Thats when I found out the species and the difference between tortoise and turtle. Naturally, I immediately regretted bringing this majestic animal into a 1 bedroom apartment. Now he's 2 and about 6.5 inches long. He's stunning, active, hungry always, and let's you caress his head, and give him kisses on the nose...and he's not affraid of dogs (small ones)....lol. unfortunately, I know he would be much happier in an environment where he is free to roam outside and sunbathe in leasure. I live in West Covina, CA and I am looking for a good home for him, or a rescue. If anyone can assist I would very much appreciate it. His name ( I think he is a boy ) is Osiris.

Attachments

• IMG_20180802_113722.jpg
    IMG_20180802_113722.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180802_113712.jpg
    IMG_20180802_113712.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20180802_113653.jpg
    IMG_20180802_113653.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Asking at least SOME money sometimes weeds out what we call "lurkers" that swoop in to scoop up any free or very inexpensive animals.
Not that some lurkers might be great keepers, but we all feel better with members that have actually said at least hello and have contributed to the forum in some way. I often find that in checking the other posts of some of these folks, either there ARE no other posts, or they were also posts regarding other free animals.
Ask MANY questions of any new prospective owner. Get photos of where and how they plan on raising your tortoise.
Feel good about where your tortoise will be going. And with most established members, you can rest assured it will be fine.
Good luck.

Patito

West Covina, CA
Noted, but I will make sure to see where the animal will be kept and that they have at least 1 other tortoise. I'm ok keeping him longer, in another year it will be more urgent but for now he's happy and healthy that's why I want to start, to allow the time to find him just the right place/person. Thank you for your information. I am not usually this irresponsible, but I do have the utmost respect and appreciation for animals. I am truly upset at myself for not doing research prior, although, who knows what his fate would have been if I didn't get him. :-/

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
You are certainly doing the right thing, Patito. The role of most pet stores is not to educate, but to make a buck. I went to a pet shop years ago and was amazed to find extensive literature on hand for every animal they had, as well as knowledgeable sales staff who, to their credit, would come right out and tell you if they were unsure about something. Only shop I've ever come across like that.

They were selling sulcata there, and when asked how large they got, would come right out and tell you: "about the size of a VW Beetle". Then he'd proceed to take you out back and show you Henry, his 190 lb. behemoth. Lol