Ilene is eating again

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I think the consensus is that a 3 toed has 3 toes.
Period?
Or are there exceptions?
If it's an integrade it can take traits from either. As my integrade did. Mine has 4 toes....both her parents, also integrades, havery 3.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Not talking about your turtle. I was answering someone's question.

Honestly and unfortunately, we may never really know if it's a 3 toed or a gulf coast or both. Just like we may never know if it was captive bred or wild caught. What I do know is box turtles are pretty resilient reptiles. Loss of limbs in the wild is not uncommon and functioning without medical assistance is pretty amazing. I think she will operate just fine with the others soon enough.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Honestly and unfortunately, we may never really know if it's a 3 toed or a gulf coast or both. Just like we may never know if it was captive bred or wild caught. What I do know is box turtles are pretty resilient reptiles. Loss of limbs in the wild is not uncommon and functioning without medical assistance is pretty amazing. I think she will operate just fine with the others soon enough.
Agreed.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa

This is fortunate for me, as There were a few doses of antibiotics she refused to take, and even with my husband helping we could not get her mouth open wide enough. IMO, that stress might be worse than not having antibiotics. I keep thinking about some of the wild turtles with a leg missing and i am hopeful Ilene will be fine with missing a few doses of meds.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
This is fortunate for me, as There were a few doses of antibiotics she refused to take, and even with my husband helping we could not get her mouth open wide enough. IMO, that stress might be worse than not having antibiotics. I keep thinking about some of the wild turtles with a leg missing and i am hopeful Ilene will be fine with missing a few doses of meds.
When I had a boxie on oral antibiotics I mixed it into stinky wet dog food. But onay a small amount to be sure it was all eaten. Maybe you could give that a try?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
next time you need to give a turtle antibiotics ask for injectable meds , have the vet show you where you should give it , it's way easier , it's more accurate , takes a second , and is stress free for everyone involved including the turtle ............jmo

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I had to re-home a couple 3-toes that i think are female recently. I asked them if they would like to be boxed up and sent to a nice lady in PA, but they declined.
I'll keep looking for volunteers, though.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I don't really agree that injectable meds are less stressful at all actually.
I did that with my tort and she began to realize that when I came around it was time to get poked again. She hated it and fought me with it. :(

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Great point! I think at this time it's just important for our community to be supportive to Colleen while she's trying to recover injured animal from major surgery. In any way we all can. Those two gals (Colleen and Ilene) have been through so much, I bet they are both just about ready to start healing both physically and emotionally and move on with their new life together.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Great point! I think at this time it's just important for our community to be supportive to Colleen while she's trying to recover injured animal from major surgery. In any way we all can. Those two gals (Colleen and Ilene) have been through so much, I bet they are both just about ready to start healing both physically and emotionally and move on with their new life together.
However, I was not telling her anything about her turtle for sure. I gave an opinion one time based on my knowledge of box turtles. After that i just answered others questions on how/why a 3 toed might have 4 toes, etc.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I don't really agree that injectable meds are less stressful at all actually.
I did that with my tort and she began to realize that when I came around it was time to get poked again. She hated it and fought me with it. :(
if they're eating , and you can get them to just eat them , oral meds are obviously stress free ...... if they're not eating , myself personally , i know with an injectable they're getting the dosage they should when they should , less stress on me ....... grab or trap a leg out and it's done in a couple seconds at most .... it seems to me if you get the right spots they don't , or barely feel it ......... baytril does seem to hurt ,my guess is it burns , but others i've used like fortaz amikacin, zeniquin , they've never seem to bother them ......

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
However, I was not telling her anything about her turtle for sure. I gave an opinion one time based on my knowledge of box turtles. After that i just answered others questions on how/why a 3 toed might have 4 toes, etc.
I know you did and I was the one who was confused about it and really appreciated you trying to explain it to me

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
IDK what would have been easier. she only started to eat and i tried a lot of different things, including some canned dog food that i had, but she was not eating. The vet has us holding her front shell open and then forcing the mouth open with a little plastic thing, then sticking the syringe into her mouth. When we first brought her home i had to give her IM shots of Morphine. That was difficult also. Truthfully i hate having to give her all this stuff, she hisses at me now, so i know she hates me and probably always will. But she is healing and looking better.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Here in the ritzy Beverly Hills, Ohio better known as Elida....my high maintenance celebrities on certain occasions love to sink their beaks into the hearty delicatessen of fresh wild caught not farm raised Sockeye Salmon. Quite frankly the etiquette of acting like a gentleman and lady is completely absurd with each bite! Sorry got off track there, my guys can't resist fresh salmon they love it, maybe worth a shot instead of forcing medicine down the throat.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i understand pain meds being im , as they'll act faster , but i've always been shown to inject any antibiotics i've given sub-q ..... it's a lot less painful , most of the time it appears painless , and a lot easier to give , there are lots of spots to pick from ........ i'm sure she'll get over the trauma , i've had turtles that were pretty abused by the vets and myself , and they're as friendly as any of the others .....