Ilene is eating again

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
She had been very stressed out bc of the surgery and the meds and probably the shipping as well. But she is finally eating. May 7th she ate One mealworm. i was trying anything and everything. Tonight i decided to try earthworms again. She went for the first one and looked up at me as if you say, "hey, you got any more?" so i gave her a second worm. Here are those pics.
ileneseesworm_zpskyvikczj.jpg

Ilenelookingatworm2_zps9lizotwm.jpg

Ileneeatingworm_zpsftmv8x6l.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's an awfully pretty turtle. I would be proud to have one like her in my group. All of my Gulf Coasts are plain and drab-looking.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i can't wait to be able to let her outside. I hate that she is not allowed to have dirt or substrate at all. She is on plain paper now, but i took it out for feeding bc the worms stick to it.i understand WHY she can't have substrate but i think she is a bit bummed out.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
i can't wait to be able to let her outside. I hate that she is not allowed to have dirt or substrate at all. She is on plain paper now, but i took it out for feeding bc the worms stick to it.i understand WHY she can't have substrate but i think she is a bit bummed out.
So glad to hear she's enjoying worms. How long until she can get dirty?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
it has been almost 2 weeks and she will have another month of indoors (6 weeks total). i mean in the tub. i will bring her outside for nice days so she can get some sun, but she will have to be in the 50 gallon rubbermaid. her wound looks good to me, but i'm not a vet. i bring her in on friday for a quick check.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
yes she is staying with me. After all that, She is a pretty expensive turtle. unless she somehow cannot function outside with my other 2. then i will have to rethink the situation.

Last edited:

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
She has 4 toes. She is large. There is nothing about her that looks like a three-toed. She is a gulf coast. i have seen this pattern on Gulf Coasts in pics online. My own three-toeds don't have any pattern. I doubt she has any three-toed in her at all.

I had tried worms every few days but she was too stressed out. i was very happy to see her eat 2 of them.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She has 4 toes. She is large. There is nothing about her that looks like a three-toed. She is a gulf coast. i have seen this pattern on Gulf Coasts in pics online. My own three-toeds don't have any pattern. I doubt she has any three-toed in her at all.

I had tried worms every few days but she was too stressed out. i was very happy to see her eat 2 of them.
I have an integrade. She is very large (almost 700 grams!) and has 4 toes on back. My three toed (not the integrade) has that pattern on his shell. Not trying g to argue, just saying.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I have an integrade. She is very large (almost 700 grams!) and has 4 toes on back. My three toed (not the integrade) has that pattern on his shell. Not trying g to argue, just saying.
Hmmm.... This is very confusing to me: 3-toed with 4 toes... Shell patterns crossing over... I don't get it

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
She had been very stressed out bc of the surgery and the meds and probably the shipping as well. But she is finally eating. May 7th she ate One mealworm. i was trying anything and everything. Tonight i decided to try earthworms again. She went for the first one and looked up at me as if you say, "hey, you got any more?" so i gave her a second worm. Here are those pics.
ileneseesworm_zpskyvikczj.jpg

Ilenelookingatworm2_zps9lizotwm.jpg

Ileneeatingworm_zpsftmv8x6l.jpg
I was going to say (before becoming confused about the number of toes:)) : what a relief! To see her eat!!!! I'm from the old school and to me "when animals and kids don't eat- I worry", "when they do eat- I know they're ok".

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hmmm.... This is very confusing to me: 3-toed with 4 toes... Shell patterns crossing over... I don't get it
As I said, she is an integrade of 3 toed a d gulf coast. They take traits from both.