i'm a failure :(

TMartin510

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
This is one of my torts I got a few weeks ago, he has some. He also had a perfect match mate the store said but someone bought her and he got depressed and they thought he might die. So I got him, and im doing everything I can to care for him and make him happy and that's all we can do! Is our best to make them happy and have a good home. Both your torts look sweet!!:cool:

Attachments

• 1439117995532.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 46

the_king543

Its okay they will have like that when adult just make them the pyramiding small ok

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There are many adults here who do not behave as responsibly as you to their torts.
You are prepared to ask questions, listen and make changes when necessary - not all people who join are willing to do that.
You are doing a great job and obviously love Spud to bits, so please don't worry yourself about it and keep up the good work.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Spud's mum, Spud's mum, Spud's mum oh Spud's mum.
There is no one on this forum who loves their tortoise, does as much for their tortoise and worries so much about their tortoise than you.
Your most extraordinarily beautiful tortoise is in no way pyramided.
You are lucky to have each other.

sassytorty

Spud looks happy and healthy! Just add live plants suck as succulents in his/her enclosure and spray it down with a spritzer.

Also, increase the amount of calcium. My Torty has a cuttlefish bone in her tank, which she nibbles on. She loves it and it's good for fun and helps with the back shell flexibility! Cuttlefish bones are at the pet stores for about $2USD a piece.

You are not a failure! Spud's shell has no signs of pyramiding (that I see). Completely smooth shells would be almost impossible to obtain in enclosures that aren't in the wild/are tampered by with man.
You have nothing to worry about, my tortoise looks the exact same as spud! Tell Spud that Torty says hi!:tort:
:):tort:

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
This is one of my torts I got a few weeks ago, he has some. He also had a perfect match mate the store said but someone bought her and he got depressed and they thought he might die. So I got him, and im doing everything I can to care for him and make him happy and that's all we can do! Is our best to make them happy and have a good home. Both your torts look sweet!!:cool:
Thanks, I am beginning to like redfoots more and more. I hope yours perks up soon.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
He's definatley perked up since I got him. I've redone his home to give him the type of home he likes, it's cool the house is like a cave with moss around it haha. Thankfully the girl that cared for him at the store kept him going strong! Although when I got him he was very very light like a feather, so I got on here did some research and now he's getting heavier

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Awesome. They probably didn't do any soaks. My torts seem to get much heavier after a good warm shallow soak.

tinyherms

Ummm... Now a bit confused and worried! Tinyherms looks like that - how old is he? Tiny herms is one. He's got bumps like that, but no sign of upwards movement. I thought they were junior tort growth rings. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 20150701_065927.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 40

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Did someone say pyramiding? THIS is pyramiding. Vern is a mess - he came to me this way though. I still love my lumpy bumpy picky brat.
p1286354527-4.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
No, Yours is fine. so is spud. One or two growth rings that grow UP instead of out(sideways) isn't going to kill your torts. The way i understand it the upward growth needs to be kept at a mnimum to have a smooth tort later. The little itty bitty shelf of upward growth that is seen on your torts is technically the start of pyramiding but when your baby gets big the shelf of upward growth PRESENT doesn't. It stays the same so won't even be noticable on your adult. It's only when the shelf of upward growth is next to another shelf of upward growth thats next to another shelf of upward growth that there is a pyramiding problem getting out of control. That is when you start seeing real bumps...Like laDukephotos...and my leopard.

Attachments

• leopyramiding.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Ummm... Now a bit confused and worried! Tinyherms looks like that - how old is he? Tiny herms is one. He's got bumps like that, but no sign of upwards movement. I thought they were junior tort growth rings. Should I be worried?
Looks lovely to me.
Can't see any problem,( but my eyesight's not great)

sassytorty

No, your tort looks great! Mine has pyramided. The previous owner lost interest and because of that, torty is forever lumpy but that's ok. She isn't getting worse because I keep the humidity levels nice for her and give her anti-pyramiding pellets.

Just take good care of your tortoise's shell and she/he should be fine.
By the way: CUTE TORTOISE :<3::p