i'm a failure :(

sassytorty

Please explain what these are. I would love to find a pellet that prevents pyramiding...
You can buy these pellets here: http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/foo...-tortoise-food-zid36-4050/cat-36-catid-500004
You put 1-2 in water for 30 seconds until they're mushy. Then put them on your tortoises food and mix them in. My tort doesn't like the taste but when I mix them in really good, she can't tell.
The help prevent pyramiding and are also good for tortoises. I use them on torty, since she's started to pyramid. They do help, torty hasn't gotten worse.
PS: The pellets aren't just for hermann's, they're for ALL grassland tortoises like sulcata, russian, pancake, greek, etc.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
You can buy these pellets here: http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/foo...-tortoise-food-zid36-4050/cat-36-catid-500004
You put 1-2 in water for 30 seconds until they're mushy. Then put them on your tortoises food and mix them in. My tort doesn't like the taste but when I mix them in really good, she can't tell.
The help prevent pyramiding and are also good for tortoises. I use them on torty, since she's started to pyramid. They do help, torty hasn't gotten worse.
PS: The pellets aren't just for hermann's, they're for ALL grassland tortoises like sulcata, russian, pancake, greek, etc.
That's a good tortoise food to use occasionally but I don't think it has anything to do with preventing pyramiding. I think humidity and hydration have more to do with it..

sassytorty

That's a good tortoise food to use occasionally but I don't think it has anything to do with preventing pyramiding. I think humidity and hydration have more to do with it..
Yeah, I do my best to keep care of humidity and hydration, but the pellets were recommended by my vet to prevent the pyramiding from getting any worse.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Yeah, I do my best to keep care of humidity and hydration, but the pellets were recommended by my vet to prevent the pyramiding from getting any worse.
Time to get a new vet. I'm sorry but I don't think your vet knows too much about tortoises. Nutrition is very important. But I don't think it's right for a vet to just tell somebody to use these pellets and your tortoise will not pyramid. Because even with the right food if the humidity and hydration is it right they still will. It is really sad how many breeders, pet store employees, and even vets don't really know what's going on.

sassytorty

Yes, but he did tell me to keep the humidity right and make sure she's hydrated. Like I implied, my vet said the pellets help prevent pyramiding. Not completely doing the job by itself.
A lot of vets and pet store employees don't know that much about tortoises, that's why I go on a 5 hour car ride to get to a vet specializing in tortoises.
Time to get a new vet. I'm sorry but I don't think your vet knows too much about tortoises. Nutrition is very important. But I don't think it's right for a vet to just tell somebody to use these pellets and your tortoise will not pyramid. Because even with the right food if the humidity and hydration is it right they still will. It is really sad how many breeders, pet store employees, and even vets don't really know what's going on.