i'm a failure :(

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Before I got spud I had one goal:
To raise a healthy tort with NO pyramiding. I failed :(
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438727917.008186.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438727957.727160.jpg
His shell is also getting very flexible at the back near his tail. I am increasing his calcium for the moment... Another thing I failed on :(
He is now permanently slightly deformed because of me :(

I'm really trying my hardest, believe me im sorting out his humidity hopefully tomorrow. My dad is always too busy though when I ask him to cut the Perspex :( I've asked him for help tomorrow and he said yes so fingers crossed and I WONT let him forget.

I wish I found this site before I made his table. I could have prevented this :(

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Well, I am not an experience tortoise owner but I will say to you, "your not a failure!" If you care as much as you do, you will never be a failure. Recognizing problems and finding solutions to the problems is a part of life. I personally don't see a significant amount of pyramiding but again I deal with Box Turtles not Tortoises.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There is not a significant amount of pyramiding. And quit beating yourself up. You have done the best you can with the information you had at the time, and the information you have now. I seriously doubt there are many tortoise owners on here who can honestly say that they got it perfect the minute the tortoise came home. At least not with their first tortoise. And until they found this site they didn't know it.
I personally feel too much emphasis around here is put on the smoothness of the shell. If your tortoise does not look like a bowling ball then some people will try to make you feel guilty. I think it's bologna and needs to stop. Your tortoise will be fine. You are doing fine. The crime would be if you knew how to care for your tortoise better and didn't do it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No failures on this forum. Once you join and open yourself up to learn, well, heck, how could that equal failure. There are a lot of us, if not almost all of us that wish we new then what we know now. Your tort is beautiful and is lucky to have such a loving caring owner. Put a smile :D on your face and in your post, cuz you have not failed and are doing pretty darn good.:)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yep. You are not a failure until you stop trying...perhaps you can post pictures of your table and maybe we can give ideas on the easiest way to enclose it so that you can keep the humidity up easier. I'm basically using a box with pond liner in it so the moisture in the dirt doesn't soak into the wood. The top is an old window. It's EASY to keep the humidity up in it. My setup is too shallow for the majority of torts though...but a deeper one would hold a uvb bulb inside safely.

Attachments

• IMG_20150207_225756.jpg
    IMG_20150207_225756.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20150207_225830.jpg
    IMG_20150207_225830.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 64

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 142097
View attachment 142098
His shell is also getting very flexible at the back near his tail. I am increasing his calcium for the moment... Another thing I failed on :(

I'm really trying my hardest, believe me im sorting out his humidity hopefully tomorrow. My dad is always too busy though when I ask him to cut the Perspex :( I've asked him for help tomorrow and he said yes so fingers crossed and I WONT let him forget.

I wish I found this site before I made his table. I could have prevented this :(
You are NOT NOT NOT a failure! You are looking after such a cute little tort. As for the pyramiding, well, that's NOTHING in the pic you posted, believe me. Take it easy and do not panic. You're doing your best I think, and nobody can do BETTER THAN THEIR BEST.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Listen...you are not no dang failure!! Like all has said you are doing a great job and asking questions! I've raised one redfoot that is almost 4 yrs old and yeah he's got pyramiding and I looked up the wrong info :( But I joined the forum and asked questions and read many threads to improve in understanding and knowledge! But you are doing a great job! And that's that!! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise is not pyramiding. Those are normal growth lines.

Looks like he had a bout with dryness some time ago, but the newer growth is smooth as can be. That one little notch will not be noticeable when he gets bigger, and it does not constitute "pyramiding".

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Your tortoise is not pyramiding. Those are normal growth lines.

Looks like he had a bout with dryness some time ago, but the newer growth is smooth as can be. That one little notch will not be noticeable when he gets bigger, and it does not constitute "pyramiding".
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438793942.633479.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438793976.264407.jpgyou can see it more in these pics :(

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I would be proud to raise a tortoise that smooth. Especially in an open topped table with a heat lamp.

You are doing just fine and you will have a smooth adult if you continue.
Thank you!
I can't wait to make a viv though, will be so much easier.
Wish I hadn't read all that wrong info before hand :(

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
View attachment 142097
View attachment 142098

looks great, but soak more and feed hydrating food and have always a bowl of water in that you have to change of course the water reg.