im addicted

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Ok I am so addicted to this site. I love reading the posts and learning as much as I can. I want to also thank you all for the advice given to me. I am sure I will have a million questions. Right now my Russian is in a 75 gallon. I will be changing the asap. I have changed his food and water dishes, as advised. I have lowered his temperatures. I will be talking later about outside play area. He can't be housed outside at night , raccoons, coyote....I live up against a wetland. Too many animals. I have a dog, 3 cats, 5 bettas (3 females) 2 males. 2 human children, boys 17 and 8. I love advice and I don't get offended. I love to do things the right way. I am in ne ohio. I asked before about housing 2 Russian. My Tuxy was housed with another male for 7 months. Before I got him. That male is at the vet because he stopped eating. They would eat together. The vet does not see signs of illness. They think he is missing his friend. My friend at the store I got him at told me this. Mine is eating, pooping and seems well. He loves to pee on me.

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Russian torts are loners they do better alone or in trios but not pairs they bully each other . Bulling can be looks or taking favoret hiding spots or Evan taking control of food dish sat first . Than they start biting and before you know it one stops eating . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420954308.692425.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Pairs don't do well together. Tortoises are not friends. They are competitors. It sounds like you may not be keeping two together when I reread this. Welcome to the forum.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The tortoise is not missing his friend. The tortoise is probably sick because they were house together.either rehome one of them or build a totally separate enclosure for each one. if you bring that one home from the vet and put him in his own separate enclosure with the right conditions and care, he will probably be just fine. Welcome to the forum. Best of luck with your tortoises.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi I think I made my post a bit more clear. I only have one male. The one at the vet is still owned by the pet store.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Heather: I'm glad you like it here. I do too. And, of course, WE're glad you're here. We couldn't do it without people like you.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum, Heather. There is a lot of information here and something new to learn everyday. I am sure we will see you around here often.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many of them go off food this time of year. It takes the right heating and lighting strategies to keep them up. I'd be happy to be wrong, but most vets are not going to house a tortoise properly. I'll bet the other tortoise is not eating because it is winter, and it isn't being housed and lit properly, while yours is.

There are many ways to make a safe outdoor enclosure for your tortoise that will keep out the wildlife and your dogs. Check out the enclosure section for some inspiration.