I'm confused

cheerios586

Location (City and/or State)
Graham, Washington
Hi everyone, was wondering if a Russian Tortoise is considered a sulcata? I was under the impression I had a RT and now I'm wondering if it's a sulcata since that's what the paperwork says from Pet Smart where I purchased her. Don't Sulcata's grow quite larger than a RT? Attached is a photo of my baby.

Attachments

• 20180307_095330.jpg
    20180307_095330.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 20180307_095343.jpg
    20180307_095343.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 46
  • yoshi carapax.jpg
    yoshi carapax.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 44

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a russian tortoise - a complete different species from a Sulcata. Your tortoise comes from Afghanistan while the Sulcata comes from Africa, and never the twain shall meet. Sulcata will be about 150 lbs worth of tortoise, while your baby is looking full grown to me.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
It's a russian tortoise - a complete different species from a Sulcata. Your tortoise comes from Afghanistan while the Sulcata comes from Africa, and never the twain shall meet. Sulcata will be about 150 lbs worth of tortoise, while your baby is looking full grown to me.
wow this is great to know. Thank you so much

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone, was wondering if a Russian Tortoise is considered a sulcata? I was under the impression I had a RT and now I'm wondering if it's a sulcata since that's what the paperwork says from Pet Smart where I purchased her. Don't Sulcata's grow quite larger than a RT? Attached is a photo of my baby.

…….aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why we tell people not to take advice on tortoise care, or buy things from pet stores.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And the emphasis on full grown means that you don't have a baby... This is a mature tortoise, probably wild caught, whatever you were told by PetSmart

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
thank you so much for your input. I purchased some plants for her enclosure yesterday and want to make sure they are not poison to her before I put them in. Attached are the photo's of the plants as I really don't know the names of them.

20180318_095005.jpg 20180318_095013.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
thank you so much for your input. I purchased some plants for her enclosure yesterday and want to make sure they are not poison to her before I put them in. Attached are the photo's of the plants as I really don't know the names of them.

View attachment 233455 View attachment 233456

Greetings, your first pot looks like a mix of sedum/jade succulent type plants. Number 2 looks like a Dracaena Marginata, a very popular indoor houseplant.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
If you bought the plants at a typical store, like Home Depot, it likely has systemic insecticides which means the insecticide is within the plant itself. Simply rinsing it won't remove the chemicals. I try to keep store bought plants out of reach of the tortoises for at least a year. Get rid of the soil it is planted in as well.