I'm in the navy

Fidels

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Will be rehoming with my family got my sulcata here in Colorado, my new home got no space 10years now, Murthy has been with me bought him 7years back, my dad loves sulcatas so I got attached with sulcata, rehoming him before I leave

Attachments

• jaydee_the_sulcata-20220126-0003.jpg
    jaydee_the_sulcata-20220126-0003.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 23

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry you have to rehome him.
Beware of new members offering to take him - some only join to get free torts to sell on.
Look out for long term, active members to make sure he has a good home.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
He is such a beautiful tortoise and I would like to give him a forever home but I am really busy with my little sulcata right now! Hope he finds a great home!

Murphy357

Louisiana
Sorry you have to rehome him.
Beware of new members offering to take him - some only join to get free torts to sell on.
Look out for long term, active members to make sure he has a good home.
Can i just say that not all new members are just trying to sell tortoises? I feel like everytime someone post this, i see this same response. Clearly I am a new member, but this makes people not want to deal with us or allow us to adopt their babies.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can i just say that not all new members are just trying to sell tortoises? I feel like everytime someone post this, i see this same response. Clearly I am a new member, but this makes people not want to deal with us or allow us to adopt their babies.
Yes you're right - shouldn't tar all newcomers with the same brush, I'm sure many are genuine and honest.
It's just to make the people offering free torts aware that it's a risk and could happen, so their torts may not be going to the forever home they think.
Hopefully they will ask the right questions themselves and ask for pictures etc.

Murphy357

Louisiana
Yes you're right - shouldn't tar all newcomers with the same brush, I'm sure many are genuine and honest.
It's just to make the people offering free torts aware that it's a risk and could happen, so their torts may not be going to the forever home they think.
Hopefully they will ask the right questions themselves and ask for pictures etc.
I understand completely. I have raised farm animals since I was a kid and its disgusting what some people do with a “free animal.” Living in Louisiana, we helped after Katrina with rescuing animals. Most went up for adoption and we would deliver them for the agency doing the adoption. Some of these people who were adopting the animals didn’t have a single second of planning done. Most were adopting horses or even exotic birds and had no clue what they were doing or kept them in way too small of areas. I guess it just sucks being in that same “new member” category currently and having the animals best interest in mind. Thats why I am doing all of my research and planning my exterior enclosures now before getting a few of these beautiful creatures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are right, they all are not just trying to resell. However, most never post again unless there is another free tort. Been here much longer to know the game.
If you are not a scammer then participate whether you have a tortoise yet or not. Prove you really want the tort as your pet and that you have the room and means to take care of one.
Lyn W is posting what I used to always post. If she stops, I will start doing it again.
If you take it personally don't unless you are one we are warning about.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I understand completely. I have raised farm animals since I was a kid and its disgusting what some people do with a “free animal.” Living in Louisiana, we helped after Katrina with rescuing animals. Most went up for adoption and we would deliver them for the agency doing the adoption. Some of these people who were adopting the animals didn’t have a single second of planning done. Most were adopting horses or even exotic birds and had no clue what they were doing or kept them in way too small of areas. I guess it just sucks being in that same “new member” category currently and having the animals best interest in mind. Thats why I am doing all of my research and planning my exterior enclosures now before getting a few of these beautiful creatures.
Cool I was on a farm when I was a kid and I still am!?

Murphy357

Louisiana
You are right, they all are not just trying to resell. However, most never post again unless there is another free tort. Been here much longer to know the game.
If you are not a scammer then participate whether you have a tortoise yet or not. Prove you really want the tort as your pet and that you have the room and means to take care of one.
Lyn W is posting what I used to always post. If she stops, I will start doing it again.
If you take it personally don't unless you are one we are warning about.
It was the wording that blanket covered all new members. Thats all.

Cool I was on a farm when I was a kid and I still am!?
Same here. We still have cows, horses, donkeys, chickens, and turkeys. Im trying to bring in a new species to the mix.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You are in the right place for research, with so many experienced keepers sharing their methods and mistakes so that we don't make them too.
I hope you'll find the right tort for you and hopefully you'll stick around and post pics as your enclosure building progresses.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It was the wording that blanket covered all new members. Thats all.

Same here. We still have cows, horses, donkeys, chickens, and turkeys. Im trying to bring in a new species to the mix.
I didn't read her post. It usually says the same thing when its about newbies wanting only free torts and I thought she usually post something like alot of new or most new. I don't believe we have ever said all new members, but I may be wrong.