I'm new here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric 0223

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello people of this forum ! I have always been coming here everytime I researched about a Sulcata Tortoise because just until about two weeks ago, I decided to get a tortoise instead of a video game (yes I'm still young but not too young)! So I am saving up money and I currently have around $25. My parents were really surprized because they didn't expect that from me but they do approve so I'm very happy and hopefully I'll have enough money by Christmas for the Tortoise it's self, the lights, the bedding, and enough food for a few weeks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! The tortoise is going to last a lot longer then the video game. So how are you going to be getting/earning the money?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What sorta of work do you do? Glad your parents are sounding supportive.

Eric 0223

5 Year Member
Texas
By working basically and my birthday is after Christmas but if I do get them by Christmas then I will use that money to buy the food and other things for the tortoise.

Eric 0223

5 Year Member
Texas
Basically anything, I don't mean like a job but like mowing lawns and things like that.
My mom actually told me why she was supportive and i thought it was really funny she said that it would teach me how be a father and I do agree with her because I have to make sure it doesn't get sick, feed it the right things, have it at a certain temp., and my dad and I are going to make to make the enclosure so that I don't have to save up another $200+ for a tank. If something is posted twice I'm sorry because my computer is a bit slow.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love it when the parent and child together makes the enclosure!

Eric 0223

5 Year Member
Texas
Yeah my dad knows the construction part and I made the "blue prints".
It's going to be medium size but it will have a second story and walls to make sure it doesn't fall off.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Eric 0223 said:
Yeah my dad knows the construction part and I made the "blue prints".
It's going to be medium size but it will have a second story and walls to make sure it doesn't fall off.

When you make it, you will have to take pictures as your building it and make a thread on it for us to see. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Good for you for showing you can save up the money. If your looking to buy a hatchling sulcata, be sure to check out the threads below in my post, if you haven't read them already. Here is an idea of how much you will need to save. Hatchling-50-85, UVB light-25 to 60 depending on the kind you chose, night heat, 25-50, substrate-20 or less, first indoor enclosure-20-40, outdoor enclosure-depends on what you do. Food, probably around 30 a month for store bought greens then you should add Mazuri tortoise diet for about around 15 which should last a month or more. A few more things, like hide, plants, dishes, between 20 and 50 depending on what you choose. Depending on where you live, there are yards to mow and soon fall leaves to rake, there is money to be earned there also. Good luck and don't forget to share pics when you get your new and forever family member

Eric 0223

5 Year Member
Texas
I will do my best to remember to take pictures because my dad doesn't want to do it until I actually order the tortoise online. I won't plan on ordering it though until I have $200 or more so that i can all the other things at the same time or probably before I get the tortoise. I checked on lllreptile and with shipping and handling a Sulcata hatchling is about $90. At first I was planning on getting a pair, but then I thought it would be hard to tell apart and what if they are both males then they'll probablly fight and it was too much money, so I just stuck with one Sulcata. And I live in Texas.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) cant wait to see pictures :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You know Eric, when the time comes, you have a good chance of being able to find somebody in TX who may actually have hatchlings, so you won't have to pay the huge shipping costs.

Eric 0223

5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks and I really do hope there is a breeder around here because they will also be cheaper since that person will have more hatchlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.