i'm really self concious as a tortoise owner (help?)

xtessybear

i have a tort named Dipper, and he's like my child. i've had him since the very beginning of june, and he's roughly around 3 years old now. i have spent hours researching what i should be doing but i still feel like i'm not doing good enough? i'm in highschool and i have a part-time job, but i'm home all other times and when i'm home i talk to him and feed him, sometimes pet his head if he'll let me and i take him out on the weekends when i can. i still feel like other people take theirs out a lot more, and the thought of me letting him go is kinda gut-wrenching for me. am i giving him all the love and care he needs? the previous owner also told me that he bonded to her within 2 months from talking to him, but i'm not really sure he likes me too much? thank you all for your time

sincerely, Tess & Dipper

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi there

Tortoises are not social creatures even with each other. Some will tolerate human attention, some appear to like it, some hate it and the quite a lot don't seem to care less whether they get attention as long as the food keeps coming.

Don't feel bad about your tort's attitude; it's normal :)

Have you read the TFO guides to keeping Russians? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and ,sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tess, and welcome to the Forum!

As long as you have a big enough enclosure for Dipper, you don't need to "take him out." I'm of the opinion that tortoises need their own space and the need to be left in it. They are territorial. Once you allow them out of the habitat, they continually want to be out and not contained anymore. Of course, the very best enclosure is one where he can be outside and it's planted with many edible plants. But I realize some people live in cold climates and can't have tortoises outside.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises don't "bond" to people. Sometimes they are greedy eaters and they recognize the food provider, or a source of warmth, but that's about the extent of it.

Where are you? I'm of the opinion that it is best to have a proper indoor AND a proper outdoor enclosure. Indoors when the weather is too hot or too cold, and outdoors during fair weather.

SoCal
i have a tort named Dipper, and he's like my child. i've had him since the very beginning of june, and he's roughly around 3 years old now. i have spent hours researching what i should be doing but i still feel like i'm not doing good enough? i'm in highschool and i have a part-time job, but i'm home all other times and when i'm home i talk to him and feed him, sometimes pet his head if he'll let me and i take him out on the weekends when i can. i still feel like other people take theirs out a lot more, and the thought of me letting him go is kinda gut-wrenching for me. am i giving him all the love and care he needs? the previous owner also told me that he bonded to her within 2 months from talking to him, but i'm not really sure he likes me too much? thank you all for your time

sincerely, Tess & Dipper

This is a journey you're taking with your pet, don't be afraid to make mistakes. No matter how hard you try, you are destined to make mistakes and there is nothing you can do about it except learn from past mistakes. Mistakes make you smarter, being overly cautious and allowing yourself to doubt your abilities stunts your intellectual growth. This is true with life in general, but it's no different with your personal relationship you have with your pet. That paragraph you wrote was riddled with love and proof of the fact you're doing things the right way. What I see is an individual that researched this pet and cares very deeply for their pet, most people who own animals lack this sort of love. You're worrying too much, trust yourself. I volunteer occasionally at the animal shelter in my town, and animals don't end up there because people care about them. They end up there mostly due to neglect and not wanting the responsibility anymore, so they throw their pets away. Honestly, animal shelter is just a nicer way of saying petdumpster. The love you have for your pet will make up for inexperience as you're making your way through this journey with your pet, don't be afraid to ask questions and trust in your abilities. You already have the makings of an excellent tortoise keeper, it gets easier.

xtessybear

This is a journey you're taking with your pet, don't be afraid to make mistakes. No matter how hard you try, you are destined to make mistakes and there is nothing you can do about it except learn from past mistakes. Mistakes make you smarter, being overly cautious and allowing yourself to doubt your abilities stunts your intellectual growth. This is true with life in general, but it's no different with your personal relationship you have with your pet. That paragraph you wrote was riddled with love and proof of the fact you're doing things the right way. What I see is an individual that researched this pet and cares very deeply for their pet, most people who own animals lack this sort of love. You're worrying too much, trust yourself. I volunteer occasionally at the animal shelter in my town, and animals don't end up there because people care about them. They end up there mostly due to neglect and not wanting the responsibility anymore, so they throw their pets away. Honestly, animal shelter is just a nicer way of saying petdumpster. The love you have for your pet will make up for inexperience as you're making your way through this journey with your pet, don't be afraid to ask questions and trust in your abilities. You already have the makings of an excellent tortoise keeper, it gets easier.
thank you so much!!!

xtessybear

Tortoises don't "bond" to people. Sometimes they are greedy eaters and they recognize the food provider, or a source of warmth, but that's about the extent of it.

Where are you? I'm of the opinion that it is best to have a proper indoor AND a proper outdoor enclosure. Indoors when the weather is too hot or too cold, and outdoors during fair weather.
i live in minnesota.

xtessybear

Hi Tess, and welcome to the Forum!

As long as you have a big enough enclosure for Dipper, you don't need to "take him out." I'm of the opinion that tortoises need their own space and the need to be left in it. They are territorial. Once you allow them out of the habitat, they continually want to be out and not contained anymore. Of course, the very best enclosure is one where he can be outside and it's planted with many edible plants. But I realize some people live in cold climates and can't have tortoises outside.
when i do take him outside, my neighbor always welcomes me into her yard because she's freaky obsessed with plants so both her and i know what's safe for him to eat. i'm hoping within a couple of years i can provide a home like that; mostly outside. i just wasn't sure if that would be too long for him to wait :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Does your neighbour use pesticides and chemical fertilisers? If so, her yard is not a great place for your tort.

Your tort definitely benefits from the ability to graze naturally and be exposed to the sun's UVB even on a cloudy day.

However, this needs to be in a secure enclosure. We get too many people reporting lost torts on here where they've been taken out and the owner has been distracted for a moment. :(

If the indoor space is setup correctly, the outdoor time can wait a while yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
when i do take him outside, my neighbor always welcomes me into her yard because she's freaky obsessed with plants so both her and i know what's safe for him to eat. i'm hoping within a couple of years i can provide a home like that; mostly outside. i just wasn't sure if that would be too long for him to wait :(

Ideally they will have large safe well designed enclosures both indoors and out. Then you can keep the tortoise outside during fair weather and inside when its too hot or too cold.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Please read the threads mentioned by @JoesMum and post pictures of your tort and his enclosure. Make sure that it is warm enough humid enough.;)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Adult Russians only need about 50% humidity. Been up in Minnesota chances are you have pretty much run out of warm days up there. You might be able to get him out a little bit. But that means you have the entire winter to plan a new outdoor enclosure for him in the spring.
Tortoises don't respond like dogs or cats but I think they can definitely get to know you, recognize your voice, and know that you are the food God. My Russian definitely knows that I bring the food. I try to keep her on some sort of a schedule when I have her indoors during the winter. The lights come on and go off at the same times I feed her a little in the morning in a little in the evening. Sometimes I hand feed her some food. Russian tortoises have lots of personality. You haven't had her very long so give it some time.

Allecto

Northern California
I think a lot of new tort owners probably making the mistake of taking the tort out too much, trying to force some sort of bond with handling and interaction, or just being excited and wanting interaction for themselves. Giving Dipper some space and time to settle in is not a bad thing.

In my experience with reptiles, if you are meeting all their needs and are always working towards providing them with natural, appropriate enrichment then you are giving them enough love. I don't want to belittle people's emotions towards their torts, but I think giving Dipper a healthy, varied diet and some time in the sun and a space that is all his is much more important to him than extra petting or conversation.

xtessybear

Does your neighbour use pesticides and chemical fertilisers? If so, her yard is not a great place for your tort.

Your tort definitely benefits from the ability to graze naturally and be exposed to the sun's UVB even on a cloudy day.

However, this needs to be in a secure enclosure. We get too many people reporting lost torts on here where they've been taken out and the owner has been distracted for a moment. :(

If the indoor space is setup correctly, the outdoor time can wait a while yet.
she doesn't use pesticides and i just sit outside with him and watch him since it isn't fenced in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
she doesn't use pesticides and i just sit outside with him and watch him since it isn't fenced in.
If there is no fence you must take precautions.

Some people tie a brightly coloured ribbon round their torts in a large bow while they're outside. Others use a brightly coloured sticker or electrical tape on the top scute. Anything to make your tort easier to see if she makes a run for it.

xtessybear

If there is no fence you must take precautions.

Some people tie a brightly coloured ribbon round their torts in a large bow while they're outside. Others use a brightly coloured sticker or electrical tape on the top scute. Anything to make your tort easier to see if she makes a run for it.
that's a great idea, thanks!!

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I started seeking info on this site when I got Digger about 18 months ago. Dipper/Digger - cute! We have a lot in common. I have never had a cold blooded pet before and it has been fascinating AND . . . Digger has survived all my mistakes. I have learned a lot although far from expert.
We have traveled through sand in his eyes, proper lighting, creating outdoor habitat, the wrong foods, picky eating, burrowing for days; he even got out of the habitat this summer. Eeeek! The little bugger! My husband found him when he was trimming hedges. SHOCK Had to re think the habitat.
I was a nervous wreck but once I began to calm down and trust my instincts, things got better. Yes, just caring is half the journey. This is a great place for answers. I have learned a lot from TortoiseTable.com and to take UTube with a big grain of salt. Best of luck.

xtessybear

I started seeking info on this site when I got Digger about 18 months ago. Dipper/Digger - cute! We have a lot in common. I have never had a cold blooded pet before and it has been fascinating AND . . . Digger has survived all my mistakes. I have learned a lot although far from expert.
thank you, that really helps! i'll definitely look into those websites c: