I'm so ashamed..........

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was under the impression it is better for them to grow more slowly...or more naturally ...and that rapid grow under ideal conditions was actually not good for their overall health.

My Hermanns is also big for her size. Nothing I can do about other than cut back food but since I don't think I am over-feeding or that she is over-eating I am not willing to do that.

I find this part of yet more conflicting advice.

I'm glad you brought this up. This is one of those often repeated myths from the past and its been hotly debated here and elsewhere many times. Growth is one measure of good health and good husbandry. I've done repeated experiments with clutch mates side by side. One batch of 6 outside all day in a well planted enclosure, but inside in a humid chamber at night. The other batch of 6 inside most of the day with one hour outdoor excursions for sunning. All other variables were the same. All soaked daily. All eating the same food in the same quantity, but the outdoor group could also graze on the stuff growing in their pen. All at the same temps in the same room over night. The only variable was the amount of time spent outside during the day. The indoor group was 2 to 3 TIMES larger after 6-8 months. Was it "bad" for the indoor group to grow faster? Were they somehow less healthy? I say no. The outdoor group also showed mild pyramiding. Offering ideal conditions and having a tortoise "thrive" in our care is not a bad thing in my view.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Interesting. When Gabby came over and saw my baby habitat she said, "Oh, they're outside." Which I took to mean that hers is indoors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you want us to give you some baby :tort: raising tips??? :p:p:p;):D

This is one reason I used to give all the rescued babies to my sister, Maggie, to head start. She always did much better with the babies than I did. I'm afraid 'tips' won't help me much. I just need to adopt them out sooner rather than keep them longer.

gabby.santana

California
Yes I keep Mogali inside only because I was advised not to keep him out until he was older. Although I think he is too big for any of the birds we have in our neighborhood I'm scared my cat will get him.

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
YvooneG - your 'service after the sale er.. Adoption' has been great. You're a terrific mentor and voice of reason since I adopted Ed Jones. Thank you!