Im worried guys (soft shell?)

Location (City and/or State)
Manila philippines
Guys ive read the post about the sulcata that got poisoned,
He metioned the shell got soft so i picked champi up and began feeling his plastron, it is soft, but not too soft, you could still hear a "tak tak tak" sound if you strike it, but it is a little soft, but maybe because he's a hatchling that its soft, so guys i need some guidance please. I have here a picture of his plastron and a picture of his enclosure, i leave him a shallow cup of water, the enclosure seems humid enough, its not cold it is very warm specially when i leave him some water. Im just so scared that im doing something wrong.image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises of that size still have a bit of a give to the shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It should have some give to it, like a plastic butter tub lid, but it should not feel soft like a sponge.

Please read the threads that were linked. Your tortoise will not live long in that enclosure.

Manila philippines
Hi guys, thanks for the wonderful response, and a big phew! On that plastron thing. And yeah, will be correcting mistakes, the enclosure by the way is only temporary, when the bigger glass aquarium gets ready he will be moving to a much larger enclosure. Thankyou. Will be posting updates about it on a later date.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Besides it needs a much larger enclosure ASAP, it also needs a top to hold in humidity, new substrate, hay is way too drying and needs a little bigger and little deeper water dish.

Manila philippines
Besides it needs a much larger enclosure ASAP, it also needs a top to hold in humidity, new substrate, hay is way too drying and needs a little bigger and little deeper water dish.

Hi wellington, i got him the new enclosure, its huge compared to the old one, haha. Tho i still use the same bedding, but added new wood trimmings and chips, he seems to enjoy it, hea walkin around often now, but there is one thing, that tiny enclosure you saw me post, that was waaaaaaayyyyyy! More humid than this one, what i like to do or more likely what he "the tort" likes to do is spill the water at the hay and considering im in a tropical area it tends to make himidity rise very very well, that old enclosure had a top lid that small tank held very high humidity, but his new one not so much, so now at night where it is at its coldest temp, i pour boiling water on the bedding but carefully wouldnt want any of it to go to the tort then quickly seal it, that usualy does the job pretty well :D

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hi wellington, i got him the new enclosure, its huge compared to the old one, haha. Tho i still use the same bedding, but added new wood trimmings and chips, he seems to enjoy it, hea walkin around often now, but there is one thing, that tiny enclosure you saw me post, that was waaaaaaayyyyyy! More humid than this one, what i like to do or more likely what he "the tort" likes to do is spill the water at the hay and considering im in a tropical area it tends to make himidity rise very very well, that old enclosure had a top lid that small tank held very high humidity, but his new one not so much, so now at night where it is at its coldest temp, i pour boiling water on the bedding but carefully wouldnt want any of it to go to the tort then quickly seal it, that usualy does the job pretty well :D
You don't need to use boiling water. If you use room temperature water and cover your enclosure, your heat lamps will create the humidity. You want to make sure he isn't wet and cold; wet and warm is good. There are other types of bedding besides wood chips that would probably work better. I don't know what is available where you live.

Can you post a picture of your new enclosure?

Manila philippines
You don't need to use boiling water. If you use room temperature water and cover your enclosure, your heat lamps will create the humidity. You want to make sure he isn't wet and cold; wet and warm is good. There are other types of bedding besides wood chips that would probably work better. I don't know what is available where you live.

Ohh yes, i would be happy to! Im am not yet using heat lamps currently because we are currently experiencing very dry and hot season, i check the enclosure temp. Every now and then and the results are pretty much consistent, and yeah he seems very happy when he's wet and warm, always basking in the heat lol. As off now woodchips and hay are themost accessible bedding, because i try not to use actual soil, because it might attract ants in the enclosure. Will be posting pics of his new enclosure as soon as daylight hits, im from the philippines by the way. :)

Manila philippines
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here we are guys, the new enclosure, any thoughts?

Temps are at a constant 85-90degrees
A series of small holes the size of a nail are hidden althroughout the box, a lid is always there unless it gets too humid or too hot, and if its cleaning/soaking/feeding time, wood chips and hay still bedding of choice, due to sanitation and availability issues
I added a litttle man cave for the lil guy to cozy up at night he seems to be enjoying it, but he keeps climbing the damn thing for some reason. Water is changed every couple of hours or so, and he gets a good ammount of sunlight from where he's at. So yeah, thats about it, please feel free to spot any mistakes that i missed so to be corrected Asap. Once again, thankyou for the feedbacks! Love you guys! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

No, you don't need boiling water, but I wouldn't use room temp either. Tort Soaking temp water, warm is what you should use. Room temp could mean many different temps and water at 72 or so which is some peoples room temp is too cold and then your waiting for it to heat up and build humidity

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I have the soaking water as warm as possible , if I can keep my hand in there it isn't to hot ! Speedy lets me know when it is cooling off and he wants out . usually takes 45 minutes to an hour to cool down .