Inactive Russian

Ryan Kruse

So I have only had the little guy for 4 days. I keep reading how active they are. Mine is not. I have gone over my setup conditions on another thread, and have changed a lot of things that I was doing wrong. He eats like crazy. Today, I soaked him for the second time and he pooped what seemed like an impossible amount. He just seems to like basking most of the time. The temps range from low 70's on the cool side to right at 100 at the basking spot. Is this normal? Perhaps he is just getting settled in?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Probably settling in. Babies sleep a lot. Do you have a temp gun? If he is spending a lot of time basking, it is possibly not as warm as you think. Put a rock there and measure the temp of the rock.

Ryan Kruse

I do have a temp gun:) The lowest reading from the surface of his "enclosure" is 70.1. The highest was 106.9! Yikes! He doesn't sit directly under that part. He is always a bit off to the side where it is slightly cooler.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I do have a temp gun:) The lowest reading from the surface of his "enclosure" is 70.1. The highest was 106.9! Yikes! He doesn't sit directly under that part. He is always a bit off to the side where it is slightly cooler.

Give the tort a little while to adjust....it is normal tort behavior to take a moment to settle in....if his appetite is good, his waste is good and you are offering soaking...then allow him a little while to feel secure....also, a temp of 100-110 for the basking spot is acceptable by the way :)

Ryan Kruse

Give the tort a little while to adjust....it is normal tort behavior to take a moment to settle in....if his appetite is good, his waste is good and you are offering soaking...then allow him a little while to feel secure....also, a temp of 100-110 for the basking spot is acceptable by the way :)

Thanks! I was concerned the basking temp was a little too high. Good to know :)