Incandescent bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishelby

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. I installed a false bottom in my 100 gal. Tank yesterday. Now that the bottom is higher the 250w heat light was way too hot! With the holiday, nothing was open so I put a 100w soft white incandescent bulb to fill in till the stores opened. To my surprise, the 100w keeps the hot side right at 110 deg. Which was the temp with the 250w at the lower surface. I know UVB is also needed but, for daytime heat, is this ok? I don't see any need to buy a heat light when it's doing the job? Anyone have any reasons not to use them? Thanks and happy new year!

tortiechik

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
chrishelby said:
Hello everyone. I installed a false bottom in my 100 gal. Tank yesterday. Now that the bottom is higher the 250w heat light was way too hot! With the holiday, nothing was open so I put a 100w soft white incandescent bulb to fill in till the stores opened. To my surprise, the 100w keeps the hot side right at 110 deg. Which was the temp with the 250w at the lower surface. I know UVB is also needed but, for daytime heat, is this ok? I don't see any need to buy a heat light when it's doing the job? Anyone have any reasons not to use them? Thanks and happy new year!

I think as long as you still have the uva and uvb light, then using a regular bulb just for heat should be ok. If it keeps the temp in the right range, i think it is ok. But others here may have more knowledgable opinions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I got along for years with nothing but incandescent bulbs for my tortoises. I believe Kristina still uses them exclusively.

steven

5 Year Member
I have used them for heat, but also had a uvb light in there. Plus they're a little cheaper.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We use them with no issues. We have never had any issues with MBD in the many hatchlings we have raised. Our calcium supplements are fortified with vitamin D3.

Status
Not open for further replies.