Increasing humidity

kobobird

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I need some advice on how to increase the humidity in an enclosure that doesn’t have any sort of lid. I’ve noticed my Russians shell has gotten really dry and I believe his enclosure is too dry. Should I get him a log and put some moss under it and spray it or something like that? Y’all are the experts so I figured I’d ask. IMG_1513791197.646978.jpg here’s a picture of his cage. Thanks for reading

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I need some advice on how to increase the humidity in an enclosure that doesn’t have any sort of lid. I’ve noticed my Russians shell has gotten really dry and I believe his enclosure is too dry. Should I get him a log and put some moss under it and spray it or something like that? Y’all are the experts so I figured I’d ask. View attachment 225539 here’s a picture of his cage. Thanks for reading
I am not one of the experts however from the advise they give often the best way to increase the humidity is to create a closed enclosure. However hopefully one of the experts will reply to you soon.

kobobird

Kentucky
I am not one of the experts however from the advise they give often the best way to increase the humidity is to create a closed enclosure. However hopefully one of the experts will reply to you soon.

Thank you for replying. I’m not sure how I’d create his enclosure closed

Bambam1989

East Texas
How old/big is your Russian?I may be mistaken but I think only hatchling Russians need a closed chamber. He does need a hide, they make them feel safer. You may also add some site barriers, like fake plants.
May I ask what kind of substrate your using? It looks rather dry and kind of pokey, but this is hard to tell for sure from the picture.
Do you give your tort soaks? If so, how regularly? 15-30minute warm soaks are recommended daily for young torts. It's also good to soak adults regularly to ensure hydration.
Other keepers with more Russian experience will be able to give even more suggestions.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well you could take a big piece of see through plastic and drape it over the whole enclosure. Take a couple of sticks and sort of create a tippe frame and then drape the plastic over the tippee. Then wet the substrate etc. This is just an idea.

kobobird

Kentucky
How old/big is your Russian?I may be mistaken but I think only hatchling Russians need a closed chamber. He does need a hide, they make them feel safer. You may also add some site barriers, like fake plants.
May I ask what kind of substrate your using? It looks rather dry and kind of pokey, but this is hard to tell for sure from the picture.
Do you give your tort soaks? If so, how regularly? 15-30minute warm soaks are recommended daily for young torts. It's also good to soak adults regularly to ensure hydration.
Other keepers with more Russian experience will be able to give even more suggestions.

He’s 5 years old I believe. I use cypress mulch mixed with some sand. I give him 30 minute soaks about once a week. Should I make that more frequent?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am struggling with scale on this enclosure. How big is the enclosure and how big is the tortoise (Straight Carapace Length) ? Here's how to measure SCL http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Can we see a picture of your tort please?

Russians only need very high humidity when they're very young. So older animals need the damp earthy substrate, but don't need a roof on the enclosure.

Your substrate isn't particularly good for retaining moisture. Something that is more like earth (eg fine grade orchid bark or coco coir) is much better.

You appear to have a compact UVB bulb? These are not recommended as they can harm tortoise eyes.

I suggest you compare your setup with that recommended by Tom is these care guides

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

kobobird

Kentucky
I am struggling with scale on this enclosure. How big is the enclosure and how big is the tortoise (Straight Carapace Length) ? Here's how to measure SCL http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Can we see a picture of your tort please?

Russians only need very high humidity when they're very young. So older animals need the damp earthy substrate, but don't need a roof on the enclosure.

Your substrate isn't particularly good for retaining moisture. Something that is more like earth (eg fine grade orchid bark or coco coir) is much better.

You appear to have a compact UVB bulb? These are not recommended as they can harm tortoise eyes.

I suggest you compare your setup with that recommended by Tom is these care guides

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

IMG_1513798432.068549.jpg the enclosure Is 4 feet across from one end to another and in a circle shape. My tortoise is 5 inches long. I’ve been meaning to switch his uvb bulb so thanks for reminding me. So do you think I should switch the substrate to help with humidity?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At 5 inches this tortoise is pretty much full grown so doesn't need a closed chamber. It's looking in pretty good condition. Changing the substrate will help. Read Tom's threads that I linked above and see what he recommends.

kobobird

Kentucky
At 5 inches this tortoise is pretty much full grown so doesn't need a closed chamber. It's looking in pretty good condition. Changing the substrate will help. Read Tom's threads that I linked above and see what he recommends.

Awesome. Thank you for the help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s 5 years old I believe. I use cypress mulch mixed with some sand. I give him 30 minute soaks about once a week. Should I make that more frequent?

I would:
  1. Add a hide of some sort. You can get a black dishwashing tub at Walmart for $1.82. Flip it upside down and cut out a door hole just big enough to fit the tortoise and you've got a humid hide. Put a rock or brick on top so he can't move it around, and keep it away from the sides, so he doesn't use it to climb out.
  2. Get rid of the sand ASAP. Its an impaction risk and a skin and eye irritant. You don't need it and it serves no purpose. FIne grade orchid bark works better and is safer.
  3. I'd soak twice a week. Three times if you think he's looking dry.
  4. MOST IMPORTANT: You've got to make some sort of over head apparatus to hang those lamps from. What you have there is a HUGE fire hazard. Fire hazard, as in burn your whole house down. You can use 2x4s or even PVC to make some sort of overhead rack to hang those fixtures from. This also makes it easier to adjust them up or down and get the temperature under them correct.
  5. Replace the cfl with a long tube type UV bulb.
  6. The only way to close in this sort of enclosure would be to buy one of those portable plastic greenhouse tent type things. If you want a closed chamber, you will have to buy or build something more suitable.
  7. I would not use long fibered moss, as your tortoise is likely to eat it and get impacted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Tom about the lights. That's the first thing that jumped out at me when I saw the picture. There's nothing to keep those stick from spreading apart and the lights falling down onto the substrate and catching fire.

I also agree with Joe's Mum about the age of the tortoise and it no longer has need of a closed chamber. Full grown Russian tortoises, as your is, need a drop in temperature from day to night. And they don't need the high humidity that babies do.

kobobird

Kentucky
I would:
  1. Add a hide of some sort. You can get a black dishwashing tub at Walmart for $1.82. Flip it upside down and cut out a door hole just big enough to fit the tortoise and you've got a humid hide. Put a rock or brick on top so he can't move it around, and keep it away from the sides, so he doesn't use it to climb out.
  2. Get rid of the sand ASAP. Its an impaction risk and a skin and eye irritant. You don't need it and it serves no purpose. FIne grade orchid bark works better and is safer.
  3. I'd soak twice a week. Three times if you think he's looking dry.
  4. MOST IMPORTANT: You've got to make some sort of over head apparatus to hang those lamps from. What you have there is a HUGE fire hazard. Fire hazard, as in burn your whole house down. You can use 2x4s or even PVC to make some sort of overhead rack to hang those fixtures from. This also makes it easier to adjust them up or down and get the temperature under them correct.
  5. Replace the cfl with a long tube type UV bulb.
  6. The only way to close in this sort of enclosure would be to buy one of those portable plastic greenhouse tent type things. If you want a closed chamber, you will have to buy or build something more suitable.
  7. I would not use long fibered moss, as your tortoise is likely to eat it and get impacted.

Thank you for all the tips! I’ve been meaning to get rid of sand anyway so I’ll switch to orchid bark. And I know about the fire hazard. I’ve also been meaning to fix that but I seem to procrastinate. Looks like I need to kick it into high gear.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Thank you for all the tips! I’ve been meaning to get rid of sand anyway so I’ll switch to orchid bark. And I know about the fire hazard. I’ve also been meaning to fix that but I seem to procrastinate. Looks like I need to kick it into high gear.
Fix the light thing now! I held a position years ago that unfortunately made me aware of a number of house fires caused by situations identical to yours. It does happen.

kobobird

Kentucky
Fix the light thing now! I held a position years ago that unfortunately made me aware of a number of house fires caused by situations identical to yours. It does happen.

Will do. I’ve got to get a shower curtain rod as soon as possible to hang the lights from