Incubation temperature spiked

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Hey all, My second batch of sulcatas started to hatch(five so far) but its been a week since anymore have hatched (13 remaining). I'm only worried because my son accidentally increased the temp to 101 degrees for a day(at most two days) about a week ago and I immediately lowered it back down to 82 degrees when I noticed.
Since then none have hatched and althought the eggs still look fine I'm worried that that temperature may have harmed the soon to be born babies. I have read that extreme temperatures are ok for short periods of time but I was unsure if 101 degrees is beyond the "OK" mark. I would imagine in the super hot African sun the ground can still get very hot. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I don't know about tortoise eggs, but I had an incubator full of box turtles bump up to 120 overnight (a kitten was playing around it and I guess it turned the little handle.) I don't know how long it was that temp - no more than 12 hours for sure, but everyone hatched just fine. Hope that was helpful!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Honestly they should be fine, especially if they are hatching!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah your good.I had a spike up to 98 2 days ago and it made them pip actually. 19 of the 32 from that clutch said "its hot in here I'm coming out" lol. They're fine.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone. I have one hatching today which is a sigh of relief. It's been 9 days since the last one had hatched so I was getting worried. Ill update as they hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.