Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
poison said:
tortadise said:
We will see. Ive been through some pretty serious inspections before. Im sure if they allow my organization to house ploushares Id hope they would let me facilitate some indian pythons. But I havent kept up with the modern snake laws or regulations, maybe not. Sucks they have made it so hard to attain large constrictors. Arent they trying to get boas on the list?

i believe yellow anacondas were added on to the list but i could be wrong
Currently (17 Jan 2012) USFWS bans import of Burmese Python (includes Indian),North African Python, South African Python, and Yellow Anaconda. In addition to these species H.R. 511 seeks to ban Reticulated Python, Boa Constrictor,Green Anaconda, DeShaunsee's Anaconda, and Beni/Bolivian Anaconda.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
lols if only they would place a ban on breeding so many morphs of ball pythons.....i think its dumb to pay 15k for a one of a kind colored ball python.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
AustinASU said:
lols if only they would place a ban on breeding so many morphs of ball pythons.....i think its dumb to pay 15k for a one of a kind colored ball python.

Some people think its dumb to pay over $100 for a tortoise...or to spend money to hit tiny white balls with funny sticks on a freshly manicured lawn, or to pay booku moolah for quality seating at a sporting event.

We all have our hobbies. To each his own. ;)

poison

5 Year Member
no its pretty much dumb to pay 15k for a morph lol jk

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
Really? I have a burm, had no idea it was illegal to transport him across state lines, not that I'm planning to take him anywhere.

poison

5 Year Member
Kenazfehu said:
Really? I have a burm, had no idea it was illegal to transport him across state lines, not that I'm planning to take him anywhere.

yep i believe this is a new law im not sure when they came out with it

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
What kind of snake you talking about? If boelens LLLReptile has some, and there are maybe 2 breeders in my area that may have some.

poison

5 Year Member
Ethan D said:
What kind of snake you talking about? If boelens LLLReptile has some, and there are maybe 2 breeders in my area that may have some.

lol the title says Indian python

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
poison said:
Kenazfehu said:

yep i believe this is a new law im not sure when they came out with it

yes it took effect march 28th,2012, the lacey act states that it is illegal to transport, import, or sell these snakes across state lines, Burmese Python, Yellow Anaconda, and 2 species of African Rock Pythons. To be honest it doesn't help any that they don't necessarily enforce the state lines law, my buddy drove to N.C. and got a burm and 2 yellows.

Itort said:
poison said:
tortadise said:
We will see. Ive been through some pretty serious inspections before. Im sure if they allow my organization to house ploushares Id hope they would let me facilitate some indian pythons. But I havent kept up with the modern snake laws or regulations, maybe not. Sucks they have made it so hard to attain large constrictors. Arent they trying to get boas on the list?

Currently (17 Jan 2012) USFWS bans import of Burmese Python (includes Indian),North African Python, South African Python, and Yellow Anaconda. In addition to these species H.R. 511 seeks to ban Reticulated Python, Boa Constrictor,Green Anaconda, DeShaunsee's Anaconda, and Beni/Bolivian Anaconda.

Hr will never pass, especially the boa constrictors, they alone gross more then burms and yellows combined, which is why they were so easy to ban in the first place, they didn't have a strong economic standing like boas, retics, and green anacondas do.

Kenazfehu said:

well, sadly if you have to move, more than likely you will have to give him up, or smuggle him across, to be honest, it isn't that hard to cross state lines with those species, but it still isn't worth the risk to me to have a perm. federal offense on my record :/

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
StudentoftheReptile said:
Ethan D pretty much summed it up. For anyone interested in the whole scoop, pleas read: http://studentofthereptile.wordpress.com/the-python-ban/

Hopefully USARK and PIJAC win the lawsuit they have filed, because i was actually going to get a burm before the ban, but other plans came up, and i lost my chance, and i would love to get one.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ethan D said:
yes it took effect march 28th,2012, the lacey act states that it is illegal to transport, import, or sell these snakes across state lines, Burmese Python, Yellow Anaconda, and 2 species of African Rock Pythons. To be honest it doesn't help any that they don't necessarily enforce the state lines law, my buddy drove to N.C. and got a burm and 2 yellows.
well, sadly if you have to move, more than likely you will have to give him up, or smuggle him across, to be honest, it isn't that hard to cross state lines with those species, but it still isn't worth the risk to me to have a perm. federal offense on my record :/

March 23rd, actually. Personally, I could care less, but I believe the rules of this forum prohibit the discussion of anything illegal. So in the future, you may not want to advertise or advocate this kind of stuff. ;)

Ethan D said:
Itort said:
poison said:
tortadise said:

Hr will never pass, especially the boa constrictors, they alone gross more then burms and yellows combined, which is why they were so easy to ban in the first place, they didn't have a strong economic standing like boas, retics, and green anacondas do.

Indeed. Boa constrictor sp. and reticulated pythons are probably safe for a while because of their economic impact. Green anacondas? Meh...who knows?

The DeShaunsee's Anaconda and Beni/Bolivian Anaconda are two very rare, obscure species that hardly anyone keeps them in captivity. I'm not even sure if anyone alive today has ever seen one alive. It was silly that they were even mentioned on these bills at all.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The only person I know of with traceable Indian Pythons is in Colorado........Even when it comes to Sri Lankans, there are really only two people actively working with them, and neither are in Texas........

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What I find revealing as to the law writers is they wrote a law based on knowledge gained from popular media accounts and stories. If I desire a large constrictor and these are banned, I'll get a Morelia or Liasis sp. If you ban something there ways around it.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Itort said:
What I find revealing as to the law writers is they wrote a law based on knowledge gained from popular media accounts and stories. If I desire a large constrictor and these are banned, I'll get a Morelia or Liasis sp. If you ban something there ways around it.

The most popular story they used was the death if an infant by a 12 foot *Cough 8 foot* burmese python, and supposedly the parents cut the snake off the child, with no marks on the snake, and the autopsy revealed that the child didn't die of strangulation, or lack of blood supply, it in fact died of mal nutrition, and being beaten, BUT did PETA and HSUS say that in their presentation, NO! The stories they use are full of lies, ignorance, and mis conceptions, most of the time they even use fear mongering to get their point across, PETA even has a * No Reptile or Small Mammal* Policy that they want to get across too.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tortadise said:
Thanks terry, I will give them a shout.

Made a few other inquiries...will let you know if any bear fruit...btw, if I'm successful, I expect a reasonable discount on a youngster one of these days! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.