Indian star enclosure (ask)

Defrie

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta, indonesia
Hello everyone, I own an indian star tortoise, male and about 4".
I want to ask about the enclosure especially the substrate. I use organic soil mix with cocopeat and top of that I add coco husk. Later I'll have timothy hay to add.
Are those safe for indian star?
Sorry for my bad english.

Attachments

• IMG_20170922_210952.jpg
    IMG_20170922_210952.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20170922_211006.jpg
    IMG_20170922_211006.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20170922_210929.jpg
    IMG_20170922_210929.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello everyone, I own an indian star tortoise, male and about 4".
I want to ask about the enclosure especially the substrate. I use organic soil mix with cocopeat and top of that I add coco husk. Later I'll have timothy hay to add.
Are those safe for indian star?
Sorry for my bad english.
Hello!
I would use only cocopeat, hand packed to a half of initial volume. You will need 4-6 inches thick layer. Organic top soil may contain toxic plant leftovers and because of that is not recommended (and has no benefits unless you want to grow live plants). Coco husk is harder to walk on and long coco fiber strands are not good when eaten by accident, also can tangle limbs. Timothy hay can easily mold, so you have to replace it timely or just not use it.

I don't see a UVB lamp in the enclosure. Either you need to get one (only long fluorescent tubes are recommended - T5 or T8 type, not compact lamps of any kind and not mercury vapour bulbs) or take you tortoise outside for several hours to get natural sunshine.

Basking lamp should be flood type (e.g. ExoTerra Daylight Basking Spot), not spot (not Exoterra Intense Basking Spot), avoid halogen lamps - they have narrow and too intense beam.

Adding a hide is a good advice. Tortoise needs some safe place.