how to register as a rescue?

annayaexe

Location (City and/or State)
Poteet, TX
hi so i have a pretty decent amount of land and was wondering, whats the process for registering as a rescue? im located in texas, as i know regulations may differ from state to state.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Exactly what are you trying to do? Which species are you trying to work with? Are you planning on setting it up as a separate entity (LLC, etc)?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi so i have a pretty decent amount of land and was wondering, whats the process for registering as a rescue? im located in texas, as i know regulations may differ from state to state.
You don't need government permission to rescue tortoises. Just start building suitable housing and then you can begin acquiring animals.

If you are trying to set up a charity organization, that is a whole load of paper work and government hoops to jump through.

annayaexe

Poteet, TX
Exactly what are you trying to do? Which species are you trying to work with? Are you planning on setting it up as a separate entity (LLC, etc)?
just to help if someone is no longer able to care for a tortoise or if theyre in unsuitable environment, so i can house them in proper conditions until they can be adopted out, but in the meantime i can care for them

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you're just trying to do it casually, then like Tom said you can prob just do it. Avoid Texas tortoises because you do have to go through a process to get a rehab permit for them.

But if you're just starting out, maybe talk to Brenda @Tortoise Rescue Brenda She might know an existing rescue in your area you can work with

annayaexe

Poteet, TX
You don't need government permission to rescue tortoises. Just start building suitable housing and then you can begin acquiring animals.

If you are trying to set up a charity organization, that is a whole load of paper work and government hoops to jump through.
ah okay thank you! at the moment i just wanna rescue tortoises, maybe in the future i could look into setting up a charity.

annayaexe

Poteet, TX
If you're just trying to do it casually, then like Tom said you can prob just do it. Avoid Texas tortoises because you do have to go through a process to get a rehab permit for them.

But if you're just starting out, maybe talk to Brenda @Tortoise Rescue Brenda She might know an existing rescue in your area you can work with
okay thank you so much

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ah okay thank you! at the moment i just wanna rescue tortoises, maybe in the future i could look into setting up a charity.
You would only need government licensing if you were wanting to work with prohibited animal species, like big cats or monkey for example, and only if those species are illegal to keep in your area. In some parts of the country it is still perfectly legal to go buy a lion and keep it as a pet without having to ask big brother for permission.

You can walk into any pet store and buy as many tortoises as you want. There are no licenses or permits required, except in the case of prohibited species, like the Texas tortoise that Jaizei mentioned. Likewise, there is no limit on how many tortoises you can have if people want to give them to you. The limits will be set by your time, energy level, and budget to care for and feed them all.

annayaexe

Poteet, TX
You would only need government licensing if you were wanting to work with prohibited animal species, like big cats or monkey for example, and only if those species are illegal to keep in your area. In some parts of the country it is still perfectly legal to go buy a lion and keep it as a pet without having to ask big brother for permission.

You can walk into any pet store and buy as many tortoises as you want. There are no licenses or permits required, except in the case of prohibited species, like the Texas tortoise that Jaizei mentioned. Likewise, there is no limit on how many tortoises you can have if people want to give them to you. The limits will be set by your time, energy level, and budget to care for and feed them all.
okay thank you so much for the help

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
We live in California and as there is several things you have to do through the state, local and federal governments, it is not as crazy as everyone says it is. It is 100% doable if you have a brain. I am not sure your process of your state or county but the IRS was not that complicated at all. I say go for it. It is great if the tortoises need an income. That's what my husband @EppsDynasty and I did was a complete non profit with no paid employees so that we can volunteer our time and the tortoises can have everything they need. We didn't need an income, but the tortoises did! If you are not looking to take in donations to help your cause, then just build and acquire the animals you desire. I would recommend checking with at least your local county laws to ensure you don't get into crap on the back end.