Indian star tort basking light & UVs

xhx

Location (City and/or State)
singapore
Dear Experts.
am not sure if there is any thread about this, but am seeking to get basking light & UV for my 28/29YO star as per advice by vet's rehabilitation plan after he discharge.

i saw many types.

BASKING LAMP:
75W or 150W DAYLIGHT MULTI PURPOSE
75W or 150W +75% IINTENSE

UVs
25W UVB 100.
UVA needed?

both are from EXO TERRA

S2G

AL
Everyone I know with these does the 80/80 rule. 80F & 80% rh.

Basking spot you can use a incandescent flood light to get it to high 90s. UV wise I think the best bet is to grab an acardia fixture with the 12% lights.

ReiGuy

NJ
Hey there,

I'm not an expert but I will lend my advice.

the minimum temp in the coldest corner of the enclosure should be a minimum of 80 at all time. And humidity should always be 80% or higher. 90+% is great too just make sure your temperatures are 80 degrees and above day and night, or else the high humidity with low temps can cause respiratory issues. So just be careful to make sure temps are good.

An incandescent flood bulb is good for your basking spot. The incandescent flood bulb should be adjusted to get a hot spot of 95-100F and get a piece of slate to put under the bulb.

For nighttime temps you either need a cermaic heat emitter or radiant heat panel in the enclosure. You hook it up to a thermostat to ensure the night time temp doesn't go lower than 80 throughout the enclosure at all times. Thermostat is super important or you could hurt or kill your tort if exposed to extremely high heat.

The arcadia 12% is what I used for UV. I've attached pics here of a spare from my closet. I used it for my sulcata, which has similar care.
There's also a device called a solarmeter you can get. I got the 6.5r. It'll tell you how strong the uv output is. I read through a lot of posts on this and opted to adjust my arcadia to where I got a reading of 3.5. and left it on for most of the light cycle. I read that this level of UV was sufficient without being too strong. You do also need to make sure the tort has hides or other ways to get out of direct uv exposure when it wants to. Pothos plants worked well for me for additional shelter and grew like weeds. But I also read that some folks opt for higher levels of UV but leave it on for less time.

Also, not sure where in the world you are but if you live in a climate where your tort can go out and safely get natural sunshine for several hours per week at least, you don't really need uv at all. Just outside, make sure it also has hides and shelter from the sun and a secure area.

What kind of enclosure do you have? And I hope your tort feels better soon, why did it have to go to the vet? I hope the rehab goes very well! And your tort is lucky to have someone that cares so much :)

There is a sulcata and star caresheet by tom that has every bit of detail you need to raise a tort successfully.(i tried figuring out how to link it but cant its in the sulcata and star section of the forum though)
Im sure some of the senior members will be along soon and link the carsheet. wishing the best for you and your tortoise.

Attachments

• 20210303_000248.jpg
    20210303_000248.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20210303_000329.jpg
    20210303_000329.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

xhx

singapore
ah. thanks guys. will set up with the lighting first as a stand by as per advice by vet as my 29YO star is discharging and still weak and need to follow a list of rehabilitation plan but improved after a sudden and a first time illness as follow

gout. weak kidney. low calcium. high phosphorus.
bones defiency. 1 sided mild pneumonia.