Indian star

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogart20

5 Year Member
So I have an indisn star and he doesn't open his eyes very much, just usually one like he's winking
When I give him his daily soak he spends the first 10 minutes with his eyes closed and just sitting there
Then he opens both eyes and wanders and drinks and his eyes are clear.
He hasn't ate a whole bunch either.

bogart20

5 Year Member
RE: Indisn star

I'm a little worried but his temps and everything have been fine.
His basking usually varrys from 94- 104
His night temps are 80-85
His humidity is 40- 60%
And he is on coco fiber and cypress mulch.
He's a baby and I know they sleep alot but it seems like he's always sleeping.... Although I get up from 11- 12:30
And his day light turns on at at 7am and turns off at 730pm.
Maybe I just see him when he decides he's tired after 4 or 5 hrs of his own morning activities.
Idk what do you think should I take him for a vet visit? I'd hate for him to be sick and to wait if it gets bad
He's about 5 months old and I got him like 3 months ago

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire, England, UK

I have a 3.5 month old indian star. I work 8am-7pm, but I have a wireless webcam in his viv! He comes out around 8.30am after I have soaked him before I leave, then again about 10-11am, then again about 2pm, when he usually does a bit of basking too, then usually a final venture out again somewhere between 4-6pm. He snacks a bit in the morning, then eats the majority when he's out between 4-6pm. Rarely he will eat a bit more when I spray him when I get home from work.
So if I didn't have the webcam, I'd never see him up and about except at weekends!!
I would be concerned that he keeps his eyes closed for so long when you soak him though....

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

It seems to me that the temperature and humidity is fine, but why don't you try to increase it a bit during night time and see the result. I don't think the substrate is wrong too.
I would try to monitor his activity longer if you suspect he's more active in morning time.
And if he's been eating not too much then it should not be okay. I'm not sure about his menu, but maybe he doesn't like it? What about the lighting condition and type?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

When a baby tortoise can't open his eyes until he sits in the water for a while it means there is something wrong either with the husbandry or with the tortoise. Maybe he needs more humidity in his environment.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
My baby leopard's eyes used to be stuck shut in the morning sometimes. And then open up during the soak.

I noticed this was when it slept in an area of the enclosure that was too cool and the humidity was high. I've since adjusted everything and its eyes are always wide open in the morning. I put down timothy hay that I renew every couple days over the heat mat area, where I want it to sleep, and it always sleeps there where it's warm. Who would have thunk a grasslands tortoise likes to sleep in grass??? No more issues.

Are you sure you don't have any cool spots in your enclosure? Do you have an infrared temperature gun to check the tort's sleeping location and temp in the morning to make sure it's not too cool?

bogart20

5 Year Member
Well how cold would you consider cold in this case?
Could it be dehydration?
I wrk a night job so it's pretty hard to be up in the morning to monitor him and see if he's more active.
He moves around but his eyes are always closed except during soak. I think he won't eat because he can't see what it is....maybe?
I think I'm gonna take him to the vet! This sounds pretty serious...

Just out if curiosity is there cases where substrate would be the problem? Day if it was older substrate?? Just out of curiosity

Also there was a drop in weight last month but he had gained the weight back already. I know the drop in weight isn't good but him gaining it back in a couple weeks. Idk if that still is bad and should be checked

I just looked at a site and it said that if you notice they rub they're eyes and sides if their heads with their forearms that they could have an eye or ear infection?
He does this quite a bit but I thought it was normal that he would rub his arms in his head.
If this is so is a vet neccissary or is there steps I can do to clear up an infection if it is one??
Srry I'm just worried bout my little buddy

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
I would consider this serious and take it to a good reptile vet if possible. I'll tell you why and I'm not trying to scare you but I lost a baby cherry head that at the beginning showed all the same symptoms.

By the time I got it to the vet, it was too late to save. The answer I got was the old failure to thrive theory, due to my other two being kept in the same enclosure were and still are doing great. It made enough sense to me, but I'm skeptical. I hope this works out well for you and I'll be following this to see the outcome. Good luck!

bogart20

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice I'm calling tomarrow!
That would be the worst thing ever if it didn't wrk out.
I wounder if they'll see him the same day. Now I'm pretty worried now that its been narrowed down.
I just wish I'd have known the signs earlier

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
Don't take my word on the failure the thrive part, but do take it on going to the vet. My vet is what I feel not experienced in tortoises, maybe just a general back round, but it's all I could find locally in short notice.

Not to start a debate, but I feel that "failure to thrive" is often used by inexperienced keepers or vets that are unsure of what the problem is, have no way of figuring it out, and the situation doesn't look promising in baby tortoises/turtles. I'm hoping someone with past experience can recognize these symptoms and give some input on what the cause/cure for this is.

ottosmom18

5 Year Member
I'd recommend a vet visit to be sure... Much better to be safe than sorry.

bogart20

5 Year Member
At the vets and they are going to rinse his eyes and give him an injection
And maybe oral vitamins or medicine.
Ill post more when I know more forsure.

Their gonna try to surrender feed him and rinsed his eyes out
But they say he's too small for a vitamin injection and the dose is too high and they can't water it down.
And I asked them about ear infections and they said they'd check but "he's do tiny, it's really hard to tell"

They can't even open his mouth to surrenge feed him.
All they're really doing is rinsing his eyes and giving me a care sheet and saying its probably husbandry issues.
They haven't even checked for ear infection or atleast I don't think they did cause they didn't say anything about it. They checked his eyes and they are okay.
So idk what to think about this vet visit

"He's too small to really do anything"

bogart20

5 Year Member
He might not make it.
The vet said that he's obviously sick but that he's too small to go anything.
And he doesn't have a eye or ear infection.
They said he could have an infection but they don't know because he's small.
Dies this seem right to you??

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
My vet said/did the same things. They said it was too small and fragile to really do much to it or know exactly what was wrong. I wish we could find an answer, as mine showed the EXACT same symptoms and I too got the same vet treatment, which I was not entirely satisfied with either. I feel bad for you as I know how frustrating this is, both emotionally and (even more so in your situation than mine) financially. One thing I did learn, and to the advice of my vet, is I'll skip the fragile hatchlings if I ever do buy another tort. I'll be patient and spend a little more on a well established yearling or juvenile, even if they aren't offered as frequently.

bogart20

5 Year Member
They didn't even run any tests that just looked at him and said well I can't tell but he's deffinately sick

All they said Is surrenge feed him oxbow or something like that and give him multi vitamins and calcium supplements.
There's no kind of medicine for him. Even though they know he's sick

Should I take him to a different vet?

There aren't many around here but out in San Fran they said they have equipment that could help that they don't hsve here.
I'm so upset about this visit 8-(

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
bogart20 said:
They didn't even run any tests that just looked at him and said well I can't tell but he's deffinately sick

Sounds like you need a new vet. 😕 I got lucky and my exotics vet owns a big ole sulcata so he knew a lot about him. A few questions: is he eating much? I didn't see anything about it, but maybe I missed it. How long have you had him? If he's from a reputable breeder consider emailing them to check what their specs were. Not to say anything bad, but when my hatchling was sick, I was told over and over that is was husbandry. But he ended up having an infection under his shell that happened before I even got him. Are his eyelids white or puffy? I wouldn't think it's a vitamin problem unless he's been eating the wrong types of food.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
This is so sad... What about a warmer temps and baby food soaks...??? S/he may come around. Speak to the breeder asap! Maybe another vet can help you! Don't give up!

bogart20

5 Year Member
They said its husbandry issues but it didn't seem like they knew what they were doing. I whent in to have an infection check snd they didn't even check for any infections.
His temps are right snd so is his humidity.
I would go to another vet but in my area there's only one.
Idk what to do!
I got him 3 months ago from tortoisesupply.com he seemed healthy when I got him.
The vet would t give him any medicine because "he's too small"
Idk if this is just an excuse because they don't know what their doing or of a tort the size of a ping pong ball is actually too small.
But I don't see how she couldn't run some tests or take a swab from his mouth. All they did was hold him and tried to get his mouth open but they were hella retardedset about it.
I would take him do a different vet but the closest is like 6hrs away.
I'm trying to stay positive but it's tough.
Especially when the reason you took him in they didn't even try to check. All they did was look at him and said "we'll it doesn't look like he has an eye or eat infection. There's no swelling.
Ggggrrrr

What's a baby food soak? Also should I try a pedialyte soak???
His temps are good ranging from 80- 95 during the day.
Bout 75-80 at night.
60-70% humidity
My area sucks for vets and doctors. They never do anything to help. But they charge u for the nothing that they do.
Should I go back and say I am unsatusfied and demand that they run tests???

image.jpgHere's a pic I just took.
He's getting his soak do his eyes are open.
This is the only time if day I see him open his eyes

Here's one from a few days ago. This is what it is normally like
image.jpg

And this
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Bump...Please help!!!

You may need to raise the temp to 100 degrees in his basking area... Don't give up!

bogart20

5 Year Member
100? Ok easy enough. Seems like it would be too hot for such a smsll guy but I'm willing to try just about anything to make him better!

Status
Not open for further replies.