Indio Fair: Poor Pyramided Guys!

capedthespian

I'm at the "Walk in the Wild" section of the Indio Fair and their sulcatas and red foots have been so mistreated. They're all rescues, so at least they're being taken care of now!ImageUploadedByTortForum1392610759.000368.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392610812.166005.jpg This RF is okay ImageUploadedByTortForum1392610867.080273.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Beautiful tortoises actually.
They aren't that bad, i take any of the sulcatas in a heartbeat, and the redfoot is just stunning.

capedthespian

I have another question. I have my hatchling with me, because she was too small to leave for days on end. She's sleeping in my pocket right now and seems content, but will being on bet side hurt her in any way?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
In your pocket? On your bed side? She'll have to be in some sort of box. She could wake up in the middle of the night and fall off.

capedthespian

I meant on her side. She has a box for nighttime, but as we walk around she's sideways in my front overall pocket.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Thats not safe... That is almost like being upside down. Suffocation is possible. Death is possible.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I agree with tffnytorts - that is NOT a safe position for your little guy.

capedthespian

Revised: one folded piece of cardboard and Olive can sit normally

AImageUploadedByTortForum1392667496.479862.jpg The picture is sideways.

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Thats is still not safe!!! What if someone knocks into you?? Why must you carry him around?! Have you heard of shaken baby syndrome? Its when a young child is shaken and the brain knocks around the skull. I'm pretty sure tortoises don't appreciate knocking around.

capedthespian

She's in a front overall pocket. It's unlikely that anyone will knock into my chest, and she isn't being jostled. She's riding almost as smoothly as if she were still. I really have no choice about carrying her, as it was this or leave her at home for a week with no automatic lighting or moisture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise needs to be in a proper enclosure with the proper temps. Light timers are $10 and thermostats $25. There is no excuse for this. We all go out of town from time to time (except Yvonne :) ), and we all make arrangements to have our tortoises taken care of in some way or other.

I don't know what your situation is and I don't need to know, but that animal's welfare should be first priority. Carrying it around all day in your pocket, whether sideways or right side up on a piece of cardboard is not a good idea. Its not a pocket pet, it is a tortoise. It needs a proper temperature gradient and it needs to be on solid ground, free to move about, thermoregulate, eat and drink as it sees fit.

Not cool man.

capedthespian

It was only for part of a day. She has a very large enclosure with heat and light and plenty of moisture, I just don't have the automatic timer set. For the past few months I have never been away from school while Home Depot is open. Opening night is next week and after the show I'll be able to get the equipment I need.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise doesn't care about your busy schedule. And if it gets sick due to inappropriate care, will you have time to take it to the vet?

capedthespian

How is my care inappropriate? She has correctly regulated temperature, timed lighting, humidity, and daily soaks, not to mention a large enclosure and a varied diet mostly composed of broadleaf weeds. Why would she get sick because I turn her lights on an off myself instead of having a timer do it?

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
How long will she be like this?????
Are you carrying her around for the whole week?? ??

boris'mommy

Pleasant Hill, Ca
You're clearly not understand what these people are trying to tell you. So let me simplify (as maturely as possible). You clearly are not ready to have such a responsibility as housing an animal who takes so much TLC just to keep them alive. If you cannot appropriately house this tort as a hatchling I'm assuming when he/she is around 150lbs in the future you will not be capable of coming up with a proper living enclosure for him. If I were you I would go into a different section of tortoise forum and look into Rehoming your baby giant. For his/her well being. Or at least until the point of your life when you can provide an appropriate home and life for a sulcata.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Indio Fair: Poor Pyramided Guys!

capedthespian said:
How is my care inappropriate? She has correctly regulated temperature, timed lighting, humidity, and daily soaks, not to mention a large enclosure and a varied diet mostly composed of broadleaf weeds. Why would she get sick because I turn her lights on an off myself instead of having a timer do it?

That bad part is that you're CARRYING HIM AROUND IN YOUR POCKET. Do you understand? Thats like me grabbing my baby and putting him in my backpack while I go for a jog. At home I have a crib, so wont he be okay? NOPE. So wrong.

capedthespian

Everyone, SHE IS NOT IN MY POCKET. I had her there for a very few minutes, and took her out as soon as the first reply confirmed that it would be harmful, as I had already assumed. How dare you question my maturity and competence in raising a sulcata based upon a single incident. You have no place in telling me to rehome my tortoise nor in stating that I am not at a point in my life to appropriately care for her. Literally the only thing outlined in any care sheet I have ever seen that I do not implement in her care is a timer on the lamps. Everything else is textbook perfect, if Tom's sheet is said textbook. How would you feel if I told you that you are an incapable parent and that you should give your child up for adoption?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I haven't questioned your maturity nor your reasoning to have the tortoise in your pocket. It is very irrelevant how you house said tortoise at home. What I'm saying is that a tortoise should NEVER be in a pocket. Ever. What hit a nerve in me was that after I said that was unsuitable, you replied saying you out cardboard under him to make it better.
I've left the house for weeks, and have never had to put my tortoises in pockets.