Indoor enclosure, cherry head, need ideas

myk

Location (City and/or State)
London ontario
Hi everyone,
This forum is so so helpful, so many wonderful people here.

TLDR: ideas for indoor enclosure/setting up a room *semi-temporarily* hopefully will move houses in 4-5 years. Currently living in Northeastern US

anyway I need to come up with a creative solution. I was going to buy an animal plastics enclosure or an even more awesome one from Mark, or make one similar to Sterant, but I'm realizing reading in here that I need something *much* bigger (the breeder at the reptile show did not express how much room a little tortoise needs 😞)

I've searched on here but I feel like I could read forever and never make a decision...I need a little hand holding I think

Please hit me with your best ideas... I'll have a budget of about $500-800 and it would be great to have something that can be (easily-ish)moved to another house. I am somewhat "handy" but don't have any tools.

I'm thinking our basement/"bonus" room might be best space wise, but it's carpeted.

I think I've read 64sqft of space is minimum?

Had anyone done anything like I mention before, or is there a better idea?

Could I put covered plastic tubs connected with some type of tube? Would need 8-9 storage tubs. Cons: large footprint:can't stack them, would need multiple heat sources?

Or do similar with a folding kiddie pool, cut the sides to attach to a heated tub or enclosure (is it ok to have such a large uncovered space? What temp would I need to keep the room at?)
Pool is 87" (7.25') diameter= about 41sqft so it'd need additional 23ft2 (this would be 3 tubs, or a 3x7 enclosure.

Thanks for any help and ideas. You all rock

Amazon pool link: https://a.co/d/7BNIWEx

Lowe's solid black : is 7.6sqft

Walmart tree box 52"x20" 15" tall 8.6ft2

Home Depot clear box 45"x23" 22" high 7.5sqft
Look at the pop up pools on Amazon, I was considering that,

myk

London ontario
Look at the pop up pools on Amazon, I was considering that,I went with above ground planter ,but it needs alot of tweaking

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115_155138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115_155138_Chrome.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 2

Lrn2trvl

5 Year Member
I was looking at the garden beds as well, but they mostly don't have bottoms ...

Lrn2trvl

5 Year Member
Oh, my dad started the PVC enclosure, without me.... And has taken it over, but it is now on pause due to weather and health... of course he's changed things (I guess that's where I get it from!)

He thinks the PVC won't be study enough to move so he's improvising a frame. And he said he'll try to make the top part more like a lid... Not sure if he'll figure out how to make it hinged.... Hopefully he finishes soon, because as soon as the weather is warm, I'm going to set him to making an outdoors enclosure! 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_092031.jpg
    IMG_20240201_092031.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 1

Cordycord

Manila
Hello and welcome to the forum from South Florida
While I have many decades of Redfoot keeping experience, very little of that is with keeping them indoors.
Mine have all lived outdoors.
Even my smallest babies after a certain age.

I've always been a fan of the mini greenhouse enclosures. But again. I've never used one.
Go as large as you have the space for it. My Redfoot initially go into 8'x8' pens.
My primary pen. That houses my adult male is 10x25.
Hi! I’m so glad to have stumbled upon your reply because I plan to have my cherryhead hatchling live outside. At what age do you usually move them outside? I live in Manila, Philippines so we have pretty good temperatures & humidity redfoot-wise. Would appreciate any advice you can give me as most of the info I find online are about indoor enclosures. Thanks so much!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi! I’m so glad to have stumbled upon your reply because I plan to have my cherryhead hatchling live outside. At what age do you usually move them outside? I live in Manila, Philippines so we have pretty good temperatures & humidity redfoot-wise. Would appreciate any advice you can give me as most of the info I find online are about indoor enclosures. Thanks so much!
Every situation will be different. And most won't be as simple or as trouble free as I've experienced.
I have a secure yard. Privacy fence. Enclosures are hidden from view.
I live in the suburbs and I have no predator animals to worry about.
I also live in an almost ideal climate. Your climate is probably similar. Probably a bit hotter?
How about animals that would try to eat a tortoise?
I've kept very young tortoises outside. I even had two that hatched outside. Then lived out there for a very long time until I found them homes. No issues.
You'll need to determine for yourself if the area you've designated is safe and at what size would it be safe to leave what sized tortoise outside permanently.
I'm lucky.
Your experience will vary.

Cordycord

Manila
Every situation will be different. And most won't be as simple or as trouble free as I've experienced.
I have a secure yard. Privacy fence. Enclosures are hidden from view.
I live in the suburbs and I have no predator animals to worry about.
I also live in an almost ideal climate. Your climate is probably similar. Probably a bit hotter?
How about animals that would try to eat a tortoise?
I've kept very young tortoises outside. I even had two that hatched outside. Then lived out there for a very long time until I found them homes. No issues.
You'll need to determine for yourself if the area you've designated is safe and at what size would it be safe to leave what sized tortoise outside permanently.
I'm lucky.
Your experience will vary.
We dont have any predatory animals over here and our backyard is fully secured. The only thing that would probably try to get at the tortoise would be our dog and stray cats that can get in occasionally - I’ll be covering the enclosure to solve that.

So as far as predators are concerned, I think it’s pretty secure. Thanks so much for the response!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We dont have any predatory animals over here and our backyard is fully secured. The only thing that would probably try to get at the tortoise would be our dog and stray cats that can get in occasionally - I’ll be covering the enclosure to solve that.

So as far as predators are concerned, I think it’s pretty secure. Thanks so much for the response!
There are feral cats here. Lots of them. They've never bothered with any of my tortoises. But dogs are a serious threat. And I'm including nice, friendly family dogs. They just want to chew on them.

Cordycord

Manila
There are feral cats here. Lots of them. They've never bothered with any of my tortoises. But dogs are a serious threat. And I'm including nice, friendly family dogs. They just want to chew on them.
Oh for sure. I’m not letting my dogs around my tortoise unsupervised - or even supervised actually. And the enclosure is on a table so the tiny dogs won’t be able to reach them. Thank you!

Lrn2trvl

5 Year Member
Oh, my dad started the PVC enclosure, without me.... And has taken it over, but it is now on pause due to weather and health... of course he's changed things (I guess that's where I get it from!)

He thinks the PVC won't be study enough to move so he's improvising a frame. And he said he'll try to make the top part more like a lid... Not sure if he'll figure out how to make it hinged.... Hopefully he finishes soon, because as soon as the weather is warm, I'm going to set him to making an outdoors enclosure! 😁
Here are more photos! I forgot to take a photo with the lights and mulch, so I'll add those next time I'm at my parents' house

Attachments

• PXL_20240524_165934091.jpg
    PXL_20240524_165934091.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240524_170408096.jpg
    PXL_20240524_170408096.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1