Indoor Enclosure Ideas

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!
I just wondered if anyone had any creative ideas as to where to find (or how to make) an indoor glass tank for my tortoise. I've owned my Russian tortoise for a year, and she's grown a lot! I'm afraid she's outgrowing her cage. I want a 90 gallon, but they are so expensive! The last cage I bought was from a garage sale for eight dollars. Any ideas on where to get one for cheap?
(BTW, I just joined this forum ten minutes ago and I wanted to thank everyone who participates in the conversations!! You all have helped me decide on the best substrate and cage for my tortoise and you even helped me get my tortoise through bladder stones! Your advice has been so amazing and I am proud to join this forum!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, tortoises should live outside in safe, secure, well-planted habitats as often as weather permits.

For indoors, if you get plastic or wood, it's not as expensive as glass. You could get two of the largest plastic tubs you can find, cut out opposing ends and put them together to make one big tub.

We have a section here on the forum all about enclosures, and pinned at the top of that section Jacqui has started a couple threads showing pictures of some of our members' habitats:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-indoor-enclosures.65798/

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Thanks so much! That's a great idea! Do you think the plastic tubs will melt because of the heat lamp? And I'll look at the forum about enclosures, I'm learning my way around! :) Thanks again!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, only if you use the clamp and it fails and falls onto the plastic. I've used plastic for 30 years or more and have never had a problem with the lamp making the plastic hot enough to melt it.