Indoor enclosure

Squirts

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana ca
Hello so my baby sulcata is 11 months old and 6 inches long. Her home is now to small for her and wanted to now get her a closed off enclosure. I have been seeing people post on here that they have a clear storage box with a lid as a enclosure. My question is having it humid and closed off does the sulcata still breath? Lol i look at the enclosures and they look as if they can't breath so I want to make sure before I get one that he will be okay in there.

Then I have another question when is it okay for a sulcata to stay outdoors. I have a huge house for her that we made and I want to fix it up to her liking. I know I'll need a night box for her like a hide box but when is it okay for a tortoise to stay out doors full time? And what is the best lights to use outdoor when we do get cold winter nights?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
At 6 inches, your tortoise should have an 8x4 foot closed chamber. That will last it until it’s big enough to go outside, which is around 8-11 inches. It’s better to keep them indoors as long as you can, because their growth tends to slow down once they’re outside, so I would keep it in the large closed chamber until it’s around 10 inches, but you can put them out at around 8.

Tortoises don’t require much air, and a tub isn’t air tight. Just opening the tub once or twice a day to feed, soak, spray, etc. is enough.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Every closed chamber design whether it is a one piece, lid, or tent is going to have enough small openings for air to escape through. One piece designs have exposed holes for cables, lids have sections cut out to lighting fixtures to rest on top, and tent designs will still have small open gaps depending on the type and how the cables are setup. Opening a closed chamber enclosure daily will also resupply fresh oxygen into the enclosure. Make any additional small holes is completely optional.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
At 6 inches, your tortoise should have an 8x4 foot closed chamber. That will last it until it’s big enough to go outside, which is around 8-11 inches. It’s better to keep them indoors as long as you can, because their growth tends to slow down once they’re outside, so I would keep it in the large closed chamber until it’s around 10 inches, but you can put them out at around 8.

Tortoises don’t require much air, and a tub isn’t air tight. Just opening the tub once or twice a day to feed, soak, spray, etc. is enough.

oh lol i looked dumb saying 5-6 inches they can go outside.. I swear the information on here changes daily!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
oh lol i looked dumb saying 5-6 inches they can go outside.. I swear the information on here changes daily!

This happens to everyone. If I remember correct, the argument for 8-10+ inches had to do with development and being at a size that is large enough to not get carried off by any flying predators.

Squirts

Fontana ca

Thank you so much for the advice. Okay then I'll get him that container big enough. And what lights should I get him because he's getting a lil pyramiding and I want to make sure that stops .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't look dumb. It can get confusing. My general rule of thumb is to let be outside all day if the weather is nice once they reach 5-6 inches, but still bring them in to a large closed chamber at night time. Once they reach 8-10" is when I move them outside full time with a heated night box.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

There is no 8x4 foot tub. You’ll have to make a closed chamber, or buy one from somewhere like apcages.com .
For heating, I use a 75 watt Phillips flood light(says BR30 on the box, I believe), and a ceramic heat emitter for night and keeping the enclosure above 80. I would recommend using the CHE on a thermostat.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My guy's a long way out from that size, but when he gets 6", with days in the 80s or 90s, and nights above 70, can a redfoot make it safely in my neck of the woods?

If not, what ballpark figures would you guesstimate would yield favorable results?

Jamie

Squirts

Fontana ca
You don't look dumb. It can get confusing. My general rule of thumb is to let be outside all day if the weather is nice once they reach 5-6 inches, but still bring them in to a large closed chamber at night time. Once they reach 8-10" is when I move them outside full time with a heated night box.
Got it! Simple! Thanks so much I just want to make sure my lil guy is good.

Squirts

Fontana ca
There is no 8x4 foot tub. You’ll have to make a closed chamber, or buy one from somewhere like apcages.com .
For heating, I use a 75 watt Phillips flood light(says BR30 on the box, I believe), and a ceramic heat emitter for night and keeping the enclosure above 80. I would recommend using the CHE on a thermostat.
Okay I'm going to buy those instead of what I have! Thanks so much

gigi2318

League City TX
TechnoCheese, I saw on another post you mentioned apcages.com. There’s so much to choose from! Could you suggest one and what cut outs I would need? I think I like theirs than that other guys who seem way more expensive