Indoor home questions

THEELEG

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
image.jpg image.jpg

This is what we put together as cheap as possible, his temp is about 80 and the humidity is about 20/25. I need to bring the humidity up don't I??? And if yall have any pointers with his set up I would love to hear them

THEELEG

Houston, TX
View attachment 137329 View attachment 137330

This is what we put together as cheap as possible, his temp is about 80 and the humidity is about 20/25. I need to bring the humidity up don't I??? And if yall have any pointers with his set up I would love to hear them

He has been walking around and eating and we have been soaking him, just want to make sure we have this right for the lil guy

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Yes you need it way way up!! Read Toms threads at the top of this section. At least 80 percent humidity. 80 degree cool side with a 100 degree basking area. Also make sure u have a humid hide. At tubaware container works well with a wet sponge attached on the inside top of it.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
I use a mercury vapor bulb it puts out the good rays and heat.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
I have my BBQ meat thermometer in there now and directly under the bulb is about 96 it say, I just need to figure out how to get the humidity up. Any ideas should I wet the bedding and cover the top??

argus333

5 Year Member
ya get him way more humid. 90 % an id change substrate to cypress mulch or coconut coir. and soak him 2 times a day at that size.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
I'm trying to get it up now, we have a orchid bark flooring now I soaked it with some water and it still isn't rising

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I'm trying to get it up now, we have a orchid bark flooring now I soaked it with some water and it still isn't rising

well from the photo of the gauges i can tell you they're not accurate gauges

a lot of us here use accurite gauges that you get at walmart or any store with a garden area really, they monitor heat and humidity as well as the high's for the day and lows

also try to find a way to cover the top the open top is just letting all your heat and humidity right out

THEELEG

Houston, TX
I covered the top, my wife and I are gonna go to Walmart and get a good gauge

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Please correct these problems immediately. Please read Toms threads. What size tank is that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the picture, the substrate looks dry. Misting it isn't good enough. You need to pour water in there and mix it up with your hand until all the pieces are wet. Then cover or partially cover the habitat to keep the warm, moist air inside.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
I poured water in there yesterday and the gauge went to 40 on humidity, we are going to go to lowes and get a better gauge right now

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
20 gallon is too small. I believe 40 gallon is the minimum for a sulcata as it needs some room to roam around. Also with such a small tank the substrate will dry out pretty quick. I have mine started with 75 gallon tank.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
Got a new gauge, is 66 and rising 86 degrees towards center of tank. My BBQ thermometer says high 90s under lamp, how is that??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 16

danipaul71

Omaha, Nebraska
Just starting out, and am wondering whichbwattage for a ceramic heat emitter is best for my little leo coming on Tuesday, to keep him warm?
60w or 100w?
Will be living in a large sized exo terra terrarium....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just starting out, and am wondering whichbwattage for a ceramic heat emitter is best for my little leo coming on Tuesday, to keep him warm?
60w or 100w?
Will be living in a large sized exo terra terrarium....
It depends on temperatures in your own home and the enclosure. You should only need it for night heat as the basking bukb puts out a lot of heat to raise ambient by day. You should connect it through a thermostat so that it goes off when you have achieved the desired temperature